Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Sharia law in Britain seen as unavoidable

The Archbishop of Canterbury is clearly deranged.

Journalists are clearly sensationalists.

He was referring to mandatory arbitration in cases of marital breakdown, not stoning adulterous women or mutilating thieves.

Though, on the other hand ...

I predict more conversions to Catholicism in the coming months...

Nothing like disparate and conflicting property laws to assure “social cohesion”.

Williams is a boob.

Everyone should adhere to one law otherwise you end up with inequality of rights. Unfortunately the legal system we have in place appears to be letting people down that should be addressed that rather than allowing a completely separate legal system to thrive. If people want to sort out disputes in their own communities that's all well and good but it cannot be adopted as an official avenue which would simply create disparity and confusion.

I agree 1 law.

I got done for speeding 36MPH in a 30. I was fined £60 and 3 point, OK fair enough, I was in the wrong.

My Mrs (polish) same speed same road. £60 no points, she has a EU licence.

I am now planning on getting a Polish licence, Putting Polish plates on my car and no more worries

Going back to the story:
There are now calls for the Archbishops resignation.
I personaly agree, he was out of order, how would it be in a Muslim country if it happened?????

I don't see why he should resign for bringing a debate, which has doubtless been rumbling for some time behind closed doors, out into the open. What happened to freedom of speech?

It is not an issue of freedom of speech. It is a matter of expecting a higher level of intellect and surety of purpose from a person who is supposed to be a leader with the strength of moral convictions. Williams has the freedom of speech to suggest that only those that wear pink dresses and skip up the aisle should receive communion. If, however, while availing himself of his freedom of speech he exhibits himself to be a boob, then he should resign.

He gets no coverage when doing boring Church things.

Go to his website and see what he said - you'll also find he's against priests being practising homosexuals.

A case of massive misreporting by the Christianity-hating media ... including Jeremy Clarkson this time - a man I usually have time for.

OK - let me do a Christian sympathetic job on reporting his interview.

Williams stirs up Islamophobia

The Archbishop of Canterbury stirred up anti-Muslim feelings across the country as he waded into the Oxford mosque row, adding comments designed to insult observants of Sharia law.

So as to give a clear picture of the inflammatory comments he made, we decided to let him speak for himself.

"...where it's codified (i.e. sharia) in some of the ways that you've mentioned in very brutal and inhuman and unjust ways, that's one particular expression of it which is historically conditioned, not at all what people would want to see as part of the method of trying to make actual the will of God in certain circumstances."

"... nobody in their right mind I think would want to see in this country a kind of inhumanity that sometimes appears to be associated with the practice of the law in some Islamic states the extreme punishments, the attitudes to women as well."

[about Muslim plans to have Oxford mosque broadcast daily calls to prayer]

"The Oxford case is actually quite a difficult one as we don't know yet what the requests are and planning applications are in process. It will be at least a year before anything concrete comes out there. I think I would be very uneasy about licensing a regular daily call to prayer. It doesn't even happen in many Muslim environments. It becomes an iconic thing that some Muslims want to push because they want to be recognised and some people want to push it back on because their space is being invaded. I think we need a bit of an injection of common sense in a mixed community which will never be homogeneously Muslim about what's appropriate. A daily call to prayer doesn't seem to be appropriate in that sort of environment.