Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: British Embassy Warsaw

I was at the Embassy last week. I had to show my passport before entering and my person and bag were thoroughly searched. I don't look a bit swarthy. Maybe it was the beard .

Must have been that top-to-toe burka you were wearing

The writer seems to be taking a very defensive stance in the letter. Everyone knows that the americans did not want casualties and let the red army do the dirty work during wwii. Hence Poland ended up under red army control, which (to put it into a context Brits might understand), many considered far worse than being under nazi control.

I met the old British ambassador a few years ago - a peculiar old duffer called Pakenham, who reminded me of I couldn't remember who but was obviously one of the aristo brigade trying to keep Old Blighty's end up.

I have since learned he's a cousin of that upstanding member of the House, Lord Longford!

“Everyone knows that the americans did not want casualties and let the red army do the dirty work during wwii.”

What is your basis for this? The U.S. flew day missions beyond the range of fighter support. The campaign in Italy was the same for the Americans as it was for Poles and others, only the majority of troops there were Americans. The Normandy landing and the defense of Bastogne were not conducted to minimize casualties.

I can’t speak to your “everyone” but I can speak to those that know military logistics; the United States is the only country to have supported over a million soldiers at the end of a 4,000 mile supply chain; twice, as the U.S. also had a million servicemen pass through Australia.

The U.S. made many questionable decisions during the war (Anzio), but reticence to engage the enemy was not one of them. The Battle for of Guadalcanal was fought with bolt action Springfield rifles because the Marines chose not to wait for the supply of new semi-automatics.

"What is your basis for this?"

history books slepo.

There is no doubt that america made a huge contribution financially and in terms of resources, but it is a well known fact that there was pressure in the states to avoid large numbers of casualties in a war so far away. You only have to look at fatalities by country to see how much the red army outnumbered the US. Obviously this was also in part to do with poor strategy on the part of the soviets too. Vietnam was of course another story.....

The Americans - the only western force worth talking about really - were hardly going to engage in a massive war of liberation against the Russians, a war they might well have lost as well.

Could anybody with half a brain tell me why they should even have contemplated such a foolhardy mission?

To wage war you have to have a bloody good reason, and a wishy-washy reason like overthrowing oppression in somebody else's country where a half-enemy has an overwhelming force is simply insufficient. That's the reasoning of headline-writing journalists and the feeble-minded.

Wars result in mass, horrible death and cost an awful lot of money, unless you've forgotten.

The americans did of course supply the red army with boots food equipment weapons etc.

Varso you go ahead and help out if you want to empire build. Or destroy other empires such as the british one....

America had no interest in Poland or Eastern Europe in general. It's only after the war that they realised what they had allowed to happen when the eastern bloc was formed and became a threat.

Wow! I've found out how to access the old forum, instead of getting directed to the new one. I was going to start a thread on the British Embassy here, who have the reputation of being as much use as a chocolate fireguard. sometimes I think that if a British Citizen was bleeding to death on their steps, all they'd do is to phone the Polish foreign office to get the blood cleaned up. Eventually.

I was walking past the ambassador's residence on ul. Bagatela today and nearly fell over with surprise. I'll try to get a friend with a good camera to take a photo and I'll post it.

What surprised me was what has happenned to the front of the building. It's faced in polished black stone with a large royal crest and the words HONI SOIT QUI MAL Y PENSE in foot high engraved letters. The letters were originally highlighted in white but this has worn off every letter except those right at the top, just under the Union flag. So those letters are all that can be read, and of course they are unfortunately QUI M

I know the embassy has a reputation for pussying about, but I hope nobody thinks they're referring to our dear Queen.

"Wow! I've found out how to access the old forum, instead of getting directed to the new one."

Yes, sorry. I forgot about that

A link has now been added to the new website.

As members seem to prefer using this one we'll stay with this one, and as I think Hans suggested keep the other one in reserve. Besides some new people might decide to use it.

"I was going to start a thread on the British Embassy here, who have the reputation of being as much use as a chocolate fireguard. sometimes I think that if a British Citizen was bleeding to death on their steps, all they'd do is to phone the Polish foreign office to get the blood cleaned up. Eventually."

The place has always been empty every time I've visited. The most interesting thing about it is the notice board announcing marriages .

I had to go there to get a new passport for my trip to Vegas (ner ner ner!) in January. It was uncharacteristically empty for me - I always remember it being heaving.

The best part was the search carried out by the bored teenager on the door. I went in, gave my application and then had to go up to the 5th floor to the cash machine. When I came back down again, he let me go straight back in, oblivious to the fact that I could have left enough semtex upstairs to send him to meet his sister in Bradford without having to pay the airfare.

I love Warsaw, though. I even visited Marks and Sparks as a tip of the hat to Varsovian, even though he didn't want to go out for a beer with me.

I'll also need to get my passport changed at some point. Having a non-machine readable passport is a complete pain in the arse.