Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Prices

Its what the people voted for, a free economy (captialism) you don't want to go back to the communist times.. or do you?

you'd have to do a cost analysis and have some decent financial and non financial information to work out why tesco in Poland is expensive.

and without a shred of hard evidence to back me up, I'd say "not enough competition" ...

the town my parents live in in Ireland has a large ASDA and Tescos within 5 minutes walking distance of each other. In Vancouver we had a Safeways on one side of a junction, SaveOnFoods on the other. If you didn't like prices or customer care you went elsewhere and it didn't mean a major life change to make it as far as the rival chain.

They probably benchmark their prices against local suppliers to undercut them. If the local prices are high anyway then then won't undercut as much as in the UK. We have more intensive farming here etc and that lowers down meat, fish and fruit/veg costs. I'd assume that things like bread will be dearer with less intensive farming of wheat etc. Plus their import markets aren't as developed as the UKs. There will be many reasons but generally it should be the same across the entire economy and not just one store. Perhaps they are trying to recoup some start up fixed costs and investments through prices. Who knows..

I was looking at the till receipts from our recent trip to Poland and think that compared to England the basic foods are all much cheaper in Poland. More luxury goods are a similar price.

US prices are generally very low compared to many countries, expecially European ones. Isn't petrol just $3 a gallon there?

Dajwid said 'Tescos in Poland sell Tescos own products many of them are inedible, they are produced in Poland'.

I could be wrong but I think Tesco don't produce the goods themselves. They are made by local companies and packaged as Tescos.

We only tried one Tesco Poland product on our last visit and I must admit that was very good. Tesco herbal shampoo. Very reasonable price and good quality.

Do they have the Value brand in Poland?