Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: TORRENTS - English language television in Poland

thebox.bz is the better of the two. But pretty much everything I might like to watch is on one or the other.

Recent downloads I've enjoyed:

The Last Enemy (a drama series showing now on BBC1)
Space 1999 (the 1970s sci-fi series!)
Survivors (another 1970s sci-fiction series)
Eastenders
Ready Steady Cook
Masterchef
Michael Palin's New Europe
Ross Kemp on Gangs
and a large number of BBC documentaries.

There's also a lot of Childrens' tv on there.

Books are fine, but I also need to hear real English

And, of course, Top Gear and it's carbon-copy Fifth Gear ..

Fifth Gear is way too far up it's own arse and nowhere near as good as it thinks it is, let alone Top Gear.

One of my first downloads was the whole set of Sapphire and Steel (80s ITV Sci-Fi series with Joanna Lumley and David McCallum). It took three weeks but it was great!

Other programmes I wouldn't have seen without Torrents include Life on Mars (and the spin-off that's currently running Ashes to Ashes), Battlestar Galactica, Dexter, Doctor Who, untold films, a good few football matches and occasionally Match of the Day, Grey's Anatomy (for the missus, you understand), Californication... The list goes on and on.

What's wrong with getting Sky?
Smaller dish - Channel 4 and 5
Bigger dish - BBC1,2,3 (all regions) etc and ITV too.

Torrents are free if you have the internet. You can also select exactly what you want to watch.

Sky is pretty expensive and on paper probably not available in Poland.

I'll certainly use torrents when we move to Poland.

Another good site is: piratebay

"What's wrong with getting Sky?
Smaller dish - Channel 4 and 5
Bigger dish - BBC1,2,3 (all regions) etc and ITV too. "

I'd want BBC and would therefore need a large dish.
A larger dish wouldn't fit on to our building easily.
You need to have an address in the UK for SKY.
We watch Polish tv sometimes.
With torrents I can pick exactly what I want to watch. Pretty much everything is available.
I don't have to pay for torrents.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/

its all there.

Unfortunately it doesn't work outside of the UK. Users must pay the licence fee in order to use this service, bla, bla, bla, bla, bla ...

Blimey didn't know that.

That is really bad.

Sky costs me 21 quid a month.

But I have a house to put my 90cm dish on.
I can't hide a 1.5m dish in my present garden (attracts burglars, you see) but the next place will definitely have one.

You can't as yet watch TV on the computer without compromising quality. I want to watch TV on my TV!

'You can't as yet watch TV on the computer without compromising quality'

Not always true. Many torrents are straight copies of DVDs or digitally recorded direct from high definition broadcasts. If you have a good computer monitor, quality can be better than standard tv.

Screen size is generally smaller than you'd have with your home TV, but, picture quality isn't really an issue with torrent accessed programmes. Torrent TV shouldn't be confused with the streaming TV news clips you sometimes see on Yahoo or YouTube videos. It's totally different.

Watching on a computer used to bother me, but, I've got around this by hooking up an extra monitor to my home PC. I can now surf the net on one screen and watch Eastenders or Doctor Who on the other screen. Or spin around the second monitor and watch from the comfort of the sofa.

A lot of people simply burn their downloaded torrents onto DVD and watch through their standard TV setup. Doing so only takes a few minutes.

If you want to give torrents a go, you'll need to download this free program first:

http://www.utorrent.com

The only real negative with torrents, as far as I'm concerned, is the time they take to download. Anything from a couple hours to days and days depending on how fast your internet connection might be and how many people are 'seeding' the torrent.

The whole first series of Grey's Anatomy (thanks, Mark, for the suggestion) took around 48 hours to download.

My latest project is the first series of Las Vegas (having just come back, I can't get enough of the place).

Try Dexter. Seriously.

...and BTW - you can always burn the files to DVD if you have a player that supports the .avi format. They cost as little as 150zl now.

Downloaded an episode of Dexter from Piratebay. Yep, pretty good. I'll download the first series once I've completed the third series of Survivors.

Give the Last Enemy a go on theBox. The first episode is ratio free.

Finished Dexter series 2 last night.

:-(

Question for Mark,

What sort of ratio / points do you have on UKNova and theBox?

Couldn't tell you - I very rarely use them.