Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Canada: Ottawa to drop demand of visas for Polish visitors

The US didn't though. Although it lifted restrictions for Czechs and Slovaks

Typical of the US, they want a mile and give an inch, I wonder what our American Polish friends have to say on this matter?

The Czech’s and others are still currently subject to visa requirements. New regulations may be in place in 2009.

So, why the visa restrictions? It is based on historical compilations on the proclivity for certain nationalities to remain beyond their legal stay. Poles have a tendency to not only overstay but to make their presence permanent hence the additional restrictions.

The visa requirement for Poles to enter the US is in place precisely because too many Poles are in the US illegaly. According to the New York Times, 90% of Poles who apply for a tourist visa are given one, and 30% of the Poles who go to the US end up overstaying their visas. To qualify for the US State Dept's Visa Waiver Program, a country's citizens have to average an overstay percentage rate of less than 3%.

As for Czechs and Slovaks not needing a visa, is that just proposed legislation? Or has it been approved by Congress (they are the ones who make the decision about who qualifies for the Visa waiver program- the State Dept just enforces it)? If so, forum members might be interested to know that virtually every session of Congress in the last twenty years has had legislation introduced (usually by Polish-American pols) to remove the visa requirement, but it always dies in committee, never getting to a floor vote.

Just looked at the State Dept's website, and I was wrong. It isn't 3%, it's 2%. And it is caluclated in part with the ratio of immigrant visas given out. Seeing as Poland has been barred from the immigrant visa lottery (the 'green card' lottery) for the next few years due to the high number of immigrant visas given for familial purposes, I don't see a change happening for Poles in the near future.

I don't think Poles will be rushing to go to the states anyway, given the economic situation.

I think Poles are rushing to the States both legally and illegally. The following is taken from the US State Dept's instructions on how to apply for an immigrant visa ('green card' now called the 'Diversity Visa'):

"For Diversity Visa-2009, natives of the following countries are not eligible to apply because they sent a total of more than 50,000 immigrants to the U.S. over the period of the previous five years."

Poland is one of the countries. This is the second year Poland has been on the list. If so many Poles are not going to the US as you suggest Ania, why did the US put further restrictions on immigrant visas for Poles and why does it continue to demand tourist visas for Poles? I think it is because so many Poles do want to go to the US.

Maybe some of the forum members who are natives of other countries (UK, Ireland, Germany, Australia, etc) answer this for me. Is immigration with a path to citizenship possible in your respective countries available for people without family ties to the country? In other words, can I (an American) decide one day that I want to emigrate to Germany and become a German citizen without having German family/ancestors? A friend who worked in the British Consulate in Chicago told me several years ago it was all but impossible in the UK, but maybe it has changed...

One last little thing - another country listed as not eligible for the Diversity Visas- 'United Kingdom (except for Northern Ireland'

Is Northern Ireland so nice no one wants to leave? Any comments, Claire?

In other words, can I (an American) decide one day that I want to emigrate to Germany and become a German citizen without having German family/ancestors?

---

It wouldn't be possible in Germany. There rules are very strict. Turks born there aren't even classed as full Germans.

In other European countries it is possible. There's some sort of six year rule. Be in the country for six years and you can apply for citizenship. The rules are now in the process of being tightened up. Al Fayed (Dodi's father and owner of Harrods) has applied many times and always been refused.

Giving birth to children in Britain does not now give British Citizenship. One of the parents has to be British.

Something from the BBC on how to obtain British citizenship:-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/3078690.stm

German citizenship is based primarily on the principle of Jus sanguinis. In other words one usually acquires German citizenship if a parent is a German citizen, irrespective of place of birth.

Similarly if a child is born to a British man and a Polish woman in Poland the child would be British.

"over the period of the previous five years"

Yes they are retrospective statistics. I don't think Poles will be rushing to the states in the future, particularly when there is plenty of work in Europe as more countries open up their work restrictions.