Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gardening Poland

Anyone thinking about doing some gardening now that March is here?

Re: Gardening Poland

What - just before the snow comes??

My Japanese spiraea is budding leaves already and my forsythia looks ready to get its stuff into gear - and they will be hit hard by frosts, I'm sure.

I've got to plant my Christmas tree in my next garden - Serbian pine, very fast growing and quite pretty to boot. Not yer average choinka. That's been standing in a pot on the patio since Jan 6th.

What snow?

My wife does our gardening and she tells me that vegetable seeds need to be planted soon.

My job is to cut the grass. This year we have a ride-on tractor mower.

the windy wastelands of Trojmiasto are under a light sprinkling of snow this morning.
and I ain't doing anything in the garden until the end of april.
but maybe if the spirit moves me it'll soon be time to plant another 70 or so treelings nngnnnnnnggg (first flush of enthusiasm long gone) oh my, i think i need to sleep a bit more

Hmmm - Have you discovered:

Red oak (so called because its leaves turn bright red in autumn)

Tulip tree (It's a magnolia on steroids)

For fast growing conifers, you can do worse than Serbian pine. Grows fast and looks pretty good.

Blue skies and sunshine here.

I've just received some nice veggie seeds in the post from England. Choice is pretty limited here.

Can't seem to get Magnolia to grow. The soil or something

i suspect serbian pine is what I got a couple of years ago. ... back for another 6dozen i think.

as for a tulip tree - i'm convinced i decided it wasn't hardy enough for our corner of the steppes ... but now I think my book is mistaken. it's an idea ... if only i could get past the earth moving which went wrong

They like good soil (the sort of stuff you get in bags) in a well-drained location on the west of your house - and near to it.

Why the west side?
The north gets the worst cold, the east (and south) get early sunshine which accentuates frost damage by a quick thaw. The west side gets the end-of-day warmth which can make all the difference seeing as the Polish climate is marginal for magnolias.

Also, they are best planted out of the wind - they always seem to flower at a windy time of year!

i knew about the west-side for the early sun (my parents have a lovely soulangeanea at home) but we have evil evil windy-weather issues .... plus, our prevailing wind is west so i'm quite grumpy about the whole thing.

[feeling discontent remembering vancouver and its wonderful climate]

Perhaps the tulip tree is a bit marginal here, but I'm willing to give it a go.

As for your wind, well, I wasn't going to comment on it out of politeness ...

You could try making little walls out of yew, but in any case the wind would still blow the petals off so you might as well forget about magnolia altogether.

I planted some Yew as a hedge about 5 years back. It's still bloody tiny . I might try this Serbian Pine.

What are the major differences between a typical Polish garden and a typical English garden?

In the average Polish garden there is less grass. More fruit and vegetables. Less wild. But very similar in general.

They have less grass because the soil is very sandy. The Uk has some wonderful soil for gardening and a great climate for many plants. Pretty much anything will grow in my garden here (well apart from pampas grass which is apparently back in vogue now).

Poland has a much harsher climate so gardening there becomes very technical and involved.

Funnily enough I was speaking to an ex strawberry farmer yesterday who lives not far from glastonbury and he was saying that the muck from the loos at the festival gets spread on fields, but not on crops as it has too high concentrations of narcotics. I mentioned the practice of spreading human deritus on crops and he reckons this is a common age old practice and is still carried out in many countries in places like Asia and the far East and that there is nothing odd about it. I remember someone mentioned this happening in Poland ages ago as if it was terribly shocking, but it has been used in this way through the ages. I find the thought of it a bit hard to stomach myself, but then I guess we eat food that has had cow or horse poo spread on it....

One should not use human waste on produce gardens. Nor for that matter the waste of any carnivore. It is a matter of pathogens; we do not have the same diseases as livestock so there is no comparison to using the manure from cattle.

The area round my deceased neighbour's former privvy is exceedingly fertile.

perhaps cow dung helped cjd and foot and mouth spread Slepo.....

Those require live-tissue transmission of pathogens to humans.

So how is it that one type of faeces used as fertiliser can transmit pathogens and another does not?

Surely by the time you eat the produce the pathogen is long gone?

Certainly there are some diseases which can jump species (ebola, swine flu) and one should always wash and cook ones food as appropriate. But the vast majority of parasitic diseases of the digestive tract are reliant on a cycle of common hosts.

V had it right
Trojmiasto is under a blanket of soggy snow right now ...

It's been a bad winter in North America - it had to hit us some time.

By the way, it's a good time to dig trees up out of the wild if you want to nick them. My brother-in-law took some birches and pines from an undeveloped plot of mine today.

Good Friday too!!
Mind you, I'm working pretty much as normal. But from home

-9 gar grumble shiver moan freeze moan some more