Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Poles to re-design the cross

The Mayor of Warsaw (referred to by dumb as the president of the capital city of Warsaw) has announced a competition to design a cross to stand in Pl. Piłsudski to mark the 30th anniversary of the papal mass there.

Does anyone have any ideas as the shape of the new Polish cross?

Could it be, perhaps, ... square?
That would be a bold statement which might just work.

The taxpayers will pick up a bill for PLN 2.5 million.

Re: Poles to re-design the cross

Well Varsovian at £1m the angel of the north cost more than that and lottery money may as well be just another tax.

They have some very imaginative modern designs for crosses (and monuments in general) in Poland. The more modern churches in Poland have some nice architecture and are usually aesthetically pleasing. I'm sure they will come up with an impressive design.

Generally I am an advocate for new design but JPII’s crosier is so intertwined with his travels that it would best represent the Pope and his ministry.

http://schoolcenter.granitecityschools.org/education/components/scrapbook/default.php?sectiondetailid=6636&sc_id=1179472403&PHPSESSID=113479c9aad16e2925ae422ea04138cc

You like the new churches!!!!!!!

Oh dear, I can't spot the difference between them and Carrefour personally.

I don't know which churches you are referring to, but the ones I've seen in southern Poland are not like supermarkets. I guess I am comparing to modern churches in the UK, which have pretty horrendous architecture.

I'm with you on the Carrefour front ;) One of them near me looks like a huge radio telescope.

(I'm in the South btw.)

>>I guess I am comparing to modern churches in the UK, which have pretty horrendous architecture.

Are they still building churches in the UK?

"Are they still building churches in the UK? "

They built quite a few in the last fifty years. Most of them are indiscernable from fire stations. The ones in Poland are usually very nice inside. If you look at the crosses they are often modern designs and very nicely done.

Madern Polish churches are huge with plastic cladding on the outside and tongue and groove in the inside.
Churches is the UK are being sold off in small villages do to lack of attendance, in big cities
they are packed with Poles (catholic churches)

I read yesterday they are looking for Polish speaking preists. Suprising as according to the Polish government, the Poles have nearly all returned.

Ania have you ever considered returning? You feel it is so great?

What do you mean returning? Return to where Dajwid?

darkest south-east Londyn!

Sidcup?

Another white elephant, like the Christ the Redeemer rip-off in Swiebodzin. What a joke that is/was.