Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Planning our next trip to Poland

I wonder why ex pats who have more more than the average Polish person always want to do it cheap when going to Poland. We should all remove those spiders in our pockets and lengthen our arms and shorten our pockets and make Polish business people happy,as they say let it all hang out.
Let them have a chance of making some money.
I might add the best accommodation is that offered by people who approach you near a bus/train terminal offfering bed and breakfast, a good way to meet nice people.

I'm not looking for the cheap option!

We always arrange things well in advance. Deciding where to stay at a railway station isn't for us. Far too stressful.

How about renting a self-catering flat? It's better than a hotel in many ways.

I'd recommend the following three in Krakow :

Hotel polski pod bialym orlem (very good service and clean, modern interior), Saski (olde worlde charm and v close to market square but get a proper suite (not a twin) overlooking the courtyard) and Wentzl (because someone here has recommended it in the past and it has great views of the market square).

I had posted earlier with links but the password wasn't working. You'll get all the info googling.

I've never been to the town of zakopane. I've heard it's very touristy and gets very crowded. I've tended to go to places like pieniny and krynica more.

There is a raft ride on the dunajec that you can do in zakopane although it's a real touristy thing. It does however give you an idea of how Poles spent their holidays during communism.
dunajec ride

You can also do a buggy ride (or you used to be able to) up to the impressive "Morskie oko" which saves you trudging up. There is also a walk up from there to czarny staw (no horse rides up there though). Go on a clear day.

morskie oko

Angela... I was just making a general comment, I prefer bed and breakfast type, people who ask off the street, you meet a lot of nice people and gain a lot of information.

from my experience the best value for money is to book via a local travel agent (from GB) they usually know the hotel and able to get a commercial rate which is a lot cheaper if you were to book over the phone, believe me I've stayed at the best Hotels and have never paid what is written on the tariff board.
The worst mistake you could make is to turn up on the day, you would pay the highest rate, I doubt hotels in Poland offer standby rates.