Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Polish Easter Traditions

Thankfully, not. They're a recent innovation.

I'd like toput on some sort of Polish Easter for my daughter-in-law. Any suggestions? Food?

Angela it's more important to have the food blessed at the Polish church than the contents. Generally it's boiled eggs, polish sausage, bread, butter, mustard, salt pepper and some babka. You can but Babka and polish sausage in most Polish shops. Lunch is usually just any traditional Polish food. The recipe below seems to be for a special Easter soup, although I have never had this.

polish easter soup recipe

I reckon some of the men here should attempt this in order to impress their Polish wives! :

http://www.twincities.com/ci_8544659?source=most_emailed

An old-world Easter isn't complete without an almond babka cake
By Howie Rumberg
Associated Press
Article Last Updated: 03/12/2008 08:59:54 AM CDT

Sharing Easter with my wife's family is like taking a trip back to old-world Poland.

After leaving the motherland more than 25 years ago, her parents immersed themselves in the American lifestyle — except for food. And it's most evident on Easter.

After denying themselves their beloved kielbasas and other meats for Lent, they indulge in a luxuriously long Easter lunch of a smorgasbord of meat dishes.

For dessert, the goal was to make a selection of treats that didn't require a lot of kitchen time.

My favorite cake made by my mother-in-law for the holiday is an almond Easter babka, an unyeasted almond-laced sponge cake made from potato starch.

If sponge cake doesn't excite you, consider its versatility. It can be soaked in a sauce or topped with icing, glazes or compotes. It can be cut in half and layered with jam or whipped cream.

I prefer the simplicity of an elegant dusting with powdered sugar.

Good sponge cake is light and springy. And you need a light touch to make it — a touch I acquired while wasting many eggs.

The most crucial step in making this cake is gently folding the whipped egg whites into the creamy yolk batter. Overmixing will deflate the egg whites, resulting in a dense cake that won't rise well.

Because of its flexibility, the best tool for folding is a rubber spatula. The technique is simple, but it can take some practice to master.

Starting in the center of the bowl, slice to the bottom of the batter

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Advertisement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
with the spatula, then gently pull toward you and lift the spatula, turning the spatula over and folding the yolk mixture over the whites. Turn the bowl a quarter-turn and repeat. Continue just until the whites are just blended.
Another thing I learned that will make things much easier is to line your cake pan with bread crumbs after buttering the pan. The cake will easily slide out of even the most elaborate bundt pan.

Polish Easter Almond Babka

This cake is best when made a day ahead, wrapped tightly in plastic wrap and stored at room temperate. Recipe adapted from "Polish Cookbook" by Zofia Czerny (1961).

Makes 1 (12-cup) bundt cake.

1 tablespoon butter

1/4 cup plain bread crumbs

10 egg yolks, room temperature

1 1/4 cups powdered sugar, sifted, plus more for garnish

Juice and zest of 1 lemon (about 1/4 cup juice and 1 tablespoon zest)

1/4 teaspoon almond extract

1 cup potato starch

5 egg whites, room temperature

2/3 cup ground almonds

Sliced almonds, for garnish

To prepare oven, pan: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Using butter, coat inside of 12-cup bundt or fluted cake pan. Sprinkle bread crumbs over butter. Swirl pan to coat evenly.

To make batter: Using stand mixer with paddle attachment, mix yolks and powdered sugar on medium speed for 2 minutes or until deep, creamy yellow. Mix in lemon juice, lemon zest and almond extract. Reduce mixer speed. Add potato starch. Mix for 2 to 3 minutes or until fully incorporated. Pour batter into large bowl. Set aside.

To beat egg whites: Wash and dry mixer bowl. Using mixer's whisk attachment, beat egg whites on high for 3 minutes or until firm peaks form.

To finish batter: Using spatula or large spoon, gently fold a quarter of egg whites into batter. Mix in ground almonds. Fold in remaining egg whites. (Note: Be careful not to overmix.)

To bake: Transfer batter to prepared pan. Bake for 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.

To cool: Cool cake in pan for 5 minutes or until sides start to pull away. Invert cake onto cooling rack. Cool completely.

To serve: Dust with powdered sugar. Decorate with sliced almonds.

Thank you. The cake sounds like something I might try to bake.

Predominantly the food is cold platters. You may try fish in aspic.

Could someone in Poland take some pictures of Easter baskets on their way to the Church and add them to the page, please?

My wife baked me some hot cross buns yesterday!
Bread machine strikes again ... (it did all the mixing, proving etc)

and i'm about to make them by hand tomorrow ....
(priced the b/maker in a Local Overpriced Store and decided 300zl+ was a bit ott ...)

(and will eat them myself as noone else likes raisins or candied peel ... bah humbug)

Could someone in Poland take some pictures of Easter baskets on their way to the Church and add them to the page, please?

I'll give it a try. Basket blessing day is tomorrow

Unfortunately, I don't have any Hot Cross Buns ...

Do you have a good recipe?

my recipe will be a la Delia ....
(barring the Mixed Spice which I suspect is long gone ...)

It's been raining all day so I only managed to get a couple pictures inside the church. Not people on the way to the Church. Sorry, Angela

This is a picture of all the Easter baskets on the table prior to the start of the Easter service and blessing. In the background is a special Easter altar.

Baskets in Polish Church

This one shows the content of a traditional Polish Easter basket.

Easter Basket

Thank you, Simon.

Is that salt or sugar (with a spoon) I can see in the basket?

My girl is 99% sure it would be salt

Our salt always has a little blob of horseradish in it.