Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Looking for a recipe for Bigos

I'm looking for a tried and tested recipe for real Polish Bigos.

Is red wine traditionally added or a commonplace ingredient in genuine Polish Bigos?

Karla

Re: Looking for a recipe for Bigos

Truly there are as many recipes for bigos as there are Polish Aunts. I was feeling too lazy to dig out the recipe for my indigenous bigos so I checked to see what was on-line. The wiki recipe is not too bad. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bigo

I would recommend the rinsing of the sauerkraut as too much of the other flavors are masked otherwise. I don’t make it with plums but I do include some carrot. I also use more mushrooms and after saute’ing the onions I will flour the pan for a little roux. A little bit of caraway seed is good but be careful as it will take over.

Traditionalists will recount how one is supposed to bury the pot in a snow-bank overnight between simmering but I make do with refrigeration as defrosting takes forever. No two batches of bigos should ever be the same as traditionally all your saved leftover scraps of roast meat etc. should jump in as well. Give yourself plenty of time as it is best to stew this at as low a heat as possible.

My Father-in-Law's Bigos recipe. He always makes the Bigos, not his wife.

Beef Meat
Pork Meat
Wild Boar Meat
Onions
Sauerkraut
Dried Polish mushrooms (Borowik)
Bacon
Polish sausages (assorted)
2 cans of Tomatoes
Prunes
Garlic
Peppercorns
English Herb
Bay leafs
Caraway seeds
Red wine

He cooks it for several hours and serves it with chunks of white bread.

Delicious

Some people add vodka to a special bigos.

My wife's family use real cabbage in their bigos and tomato concentrate. Every family have their own recipe.

My favorite Polish dish is zurek soup.