Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Polish Roads and Driving

It's a new road financed by the EU and one of many local accident blackspots.

Looks like many other roundabouts other than there seems to be a national speed limit applies sign just before it, if that means the same thing in Poland...That isn't a slip road merging on the right?

If it's a roundabout in Poland it's probably not round.

and the hard-shoulder/footpath are where, exactly?
(i'm presuming this is like most roads here - used by everything from a Hummer to the local 90y-old pedestrian on his drunken route to the village shop)

Do you get people turning sharp left and ignoring the fact that there is a roundabout?

Ok Simon don't keep us in suspenders! What's the answer?

Sorry about the delay. I've just returned from an expedition into deepest, darkest western Pomerania

Victor was half-right.

The roundabout centre itself is round; but the roads leading in to it and across it are not at all curved. Because of this design fault many drivers just drive straight across at speeds ranging from 80 to 140 km/h+. Completely disregarding the fact this is a roundabout because it is located on an inner-city dual carriageway (which many Poles treat as a motorway) and because most traffic is going straight on. The problem is that some cars do sometimes go around the roundabout! Often these cars end up getting sided by cars travelling in the direction I was when I took the picture. This is at least a weekly occurrance. Last week a car had been hit with such force it landed on its roof to the right of the picture (near the slip road). Accidents happen in both directions on this roundabout as both directions employ the same straight road dual carriageway design. Sometimes cars going around the roundabout even stop (leading to more problems) because of lack of knowledge or the likelihood of being hit by cars going straight across the roundabout without stopping!

I'll post another picture tomorrow.

"and the hard-shoulder/footpath are where, exactly?"

There are none!

(i'm presuming this is like most roads here - used by everything from a Hummer to the local 90y-old pedestrian on his drunken route to the village shop)"

Yep. Tractors; cycles; pedestrians taking a shortcut; horse and carts, even

I guess town planners learn by their mistakes.

I was wondering that blue coloured bit on the roundabout sign (between 9 o'clock and 6 o'clock)- does that mean it's not a proper roundabout just a fancy junction?

it might just mean the planners had a spare sign and thought "that'll do nicely" ...

no, i have no idea how that happened. at least it was polite.

The fixed speed camera 1 km further on does slow down traffic though.

Yeah these square roundabouts drive me crazy - they are all over the place in our neck of the woods. It would be interested to know if this was recently designed like that, or whether they've just resurfaced a old communist design. You would think it would be obvious to road planners that if you're not forced to give way then it needs lights.

You have to remember that even 20 years ago there were hardly any cars on the roads in Poland because a car was such a luxury item. Now they have a nightmare on their hands.

Indeed, 20 years ago, there were hardly any roundabouts either, hence the current crop's problematic design and the Poles' inability to deal with them. My wife still shouts at me that I indicate left when approaching a roundabout to take the third exit and switch to the right indicator when passing the second.

That junction in particular is a nightmare and has been since the longer stretch of the bypass was opened some years after the roundabout itself. When the road was initially opened, everyone HAD to turn left - the road ahead visible through the windscreen hadn't even been laid yet. When it did eventually open, it lead to accusations of people 'driving by memory' - a phrase I have never encountered anywhere in the world but Poland, and one which is used here on a daily basis. Maybe it really IS all the town planners' faults?