Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Tesco Expansion

I read on Forbes' website that Tesco is planning on opening 50 new stores in Poland in 2008, raise the number of employees from 3,000 to 30,000, and invest a cool 480 million PLN to do all of this.

Do we need more supermarkets? Could this be the beginning of the end for open air produce markets?

Re: Tesco Expansion

Good news, in my view.

I have to admit that I like Tesco. Good quality products. Clean, well laid out stores. A complaints box, which I have used more than once. And cheap fuel.

Compared to most other stores in Poland Tesco has to be the best. Certainly better than the basic stores offering poor quality food and stores to consumers by my compatriots in Poland.

I think the new stores will be in small towns where the competition sucks. Netto, Biedronka, etc.

I never shop at open-air markets or kiosks. The owners buy their stock at Tesco a lot of the time.

i hate our local tescos. loathe. despise. avoid.

customer service the likes of which i have never experienced elsewhere (and that's not a positive comment).

queues the length of your arm any time i've visited

badly stocked shelves - often empty

chaotic layout to the store

de-caff and cranky

So where do you shop, Claire?

Thinking about decaf coffee.

Has anyone ever found this for sale in Poland?

yes,there's decaff - Nescafe decaff comes in a red jar (the color for 'decaff' seems to be country-specific ... long story) but tastes vile. We buy Jacobs' Night&Day which they've just started doing in a freeze-dried version (the same blue jar but a gold lid ... /duh/) - beats the pants off the original J N&D decaff for flavour (all relative, of course)

otherwise I shop in real. Not great, but much better than my local tescos ...

If anything it will make the food retail market in Poland more competitive. I have however heard Poles complain about supermarkets having poor quality food. I'd say the fresh fruit and veg have to be an improvement though.

I guess it's a sign that they see a lot of economic potential in Poland. Tesco doesn't make investment decisions for large scale expansion willy nilly. They are pretty shrewd. It's bad from the consumer point of view (tesco in every town ) but good from an economic confidence point of view.

Good news for me - I want to sell them trolleys!