Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
View Entire Thread
Re: anyone planting trees this spring?

There are some types of Alder (Olsza) that like wet soils.

Have you access to a local botanist at a school or a forester (lesny)? Half of these are quite wonkish and will enjoy giving advice. The other half have lost their passion for their jobs. Good luck.

thanks for the alder tip ... the forester where we buy our treelings isn't very friendly ... very old-style "nie ma" for those who get the point ...

but i do believe we have it self-seeding too (tho' it's not as prolific as the willow (is anything) or even the birch). i'll be out trawling The Swamp (ok, the boggy area) soon - things tend to root easily there though it's too wet for them to establish a deep root system.

it's still very early here - my forsythia is just about opening though it's been out for about 10 days down in wrzeszcz. there's a huge magnolia soulangeana in town on my way to work and it's still firmly closed too.

and the farmers have just started ploughing for spring crops.

staring unenthusiastically at a DC power supply, wishing she was out digging in the garden.

I'm just back from a trip to Greece - the lemon trees are flowering and the scent is sweet and spicy. The citrus trees have both blossom and ripe fruits on them at the same time - two crops a year.
The fields and roadsides are full of anemones - deep red colours, like poppies on steroids. The greens are astonishing - there's nothing like a Mediterranean spring.

We have planted what looks like Scots Pine. 30 of them. Each about 1 m high.