Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Medium Wave Radio

I was just wondering if anyone can explain this to me...

Back in the States I was able to listen to a huge variety of Medium Wave (what's commonly called AM radio in the U.S.) radio 24/7. Here in Poland (in the days before the Internet), however, I quickly realized that I was unable to receive any MW/AM signals until well into the evening at which point I could receive broadcasts from all over Europe. Before coming back to Poland, I bought a small short wave receiver and have experienced the same problem. Nothing during the day, more than I can shake a stick at in the evening. I know it probably has something to do with the ionsphere and the curvature of the Earth, but why is there dead air during the day? Signals aren't going out at all? Anywhere in Europe? Or am I just looking in the wrong place.

Any insight would be welcomed. I enjoy trying to decipher meaning and to find enterianment from foreign radio, and when using the Internet, one has to know where to go directly. Part of the fun for me is going up and down the dial and discovering something new.

Re: Medium Wave Radio

I can't help with your question, but I agree with your comment "Part of the fun for me is going up and down the dial and discovering something new. ". I thought I was the only one who enjoyed doing this

Re: Medium Wave Radio

In that case you might both want to try stumble upon -
www.stumbleupon.com/