Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Voter eligibility

I was discussing the London mayoral election with friends (the influence of 55,000 - 60,000 Poles who registered to vote), and we were unsure about foreign voter eligibility in Poland. I assume one must at least have residency, and that there might be different rules for local, provincial, and national elections. Does EU citizenship matter as well? If anyone knows, it might settle a wager for me.

Re: Voter eligibility

As a British national resident in Poland, I believe that I am eligible to vote in local elections, but not general/national elections. I have never done so though, so may be wrong.

I beleive that EU citizens are also able to vote in EU elections in whatever country they live in within the European Union.

something is possible - i know that much but it involves trips in person to gmina offices so i haven't bothered (yet).

I was interviewed by TVP3 a few years ago about voting in the Euro elections. We're eligible, but no-one's told us how to go about it.

I was under the impression that to vote here, you have to have Polish nationality rather than residency.

You're eligible to vote in local elections if you have residency, but not in national elections.

I thought about registering to vote for national elections in the UK, but there is a slight risk of becoming eligible for UK tax if your circumstances change.