Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Polish First Communion parties

Polish paper raps lavish First Communion parties

Warsaw, May. 9, 2008 (CWNews.com) - A Polish newspaper has criticized tasteless and indulgent celebrations for children's First Holy Communion ceremonies .

The Dziennik newspaper cited reports of celebrations that included limousine rentals, beauty treatments, and even plastic surgery for young girls. The paper claimed that in lieu of traditional gifts such as rosary beads, Bibles, or religious medals, some wealthy families were giving their children laptop computers, plasma TVs, and off-road vehicles.

!!!

http://www.cwnews.com/news/viewstory.cfm?recnum=58341

Re: Polish First Communion parties

good. it's bizarre to make such a fuss. It's supposed to be religious not materialistic.

My first experience of FHC was 4 years ago when Child#1's peers were that age. Then - in our area at least, The Gift was usually a bicycle or a PC. One child got a TV for her bedroom. Not rich families, but it seems an occasion when one must splash out.
I suspect C#1 was quite ready to convert to The Church at that point - if similar largesse could have been guaranteed ...

I strongly disapprove of this practice. You're only supposed to give symbolic religious presents such as a bible or a crucifix. Not bikes.

Agreed. My neighbors gave their 8 or 9 year old son an ATV 4 wheeled motorbike and leather jacket on Sunday. Spoilt little shit. Typical burak family

ah, Hans, you're getting to know Polish society and its subtleties

This whole tradition gives me the creeps. I find it highly distasteful that the catholic church thinks 8 years old is a fair age to make a choice like this.

well the 3 y/olds at kindergarten have R.E. classes

the Young Master has come out with various interesting stories from time to time which I've attributed to these attempts at pushing religion into him. mix together a weak grasp of Polish, a habit of not listening too closely, too many episodes of some superhero's activites on T.V., and a vivid imagination ... mmmm, I'm not sure the teacher is having quite the effect she would anticipate

Is this where young Polish children wear white wedding dresses?

Not just Polish children Victor. It's an international Catholic church rite. You also get to wear a fancy dress for confirmation when you are 14.

Oh, I was under the impression that first communion and confirmation were the same thing? (I think they are in the Anglican church) How do they differ?

I think CofE only have confirmation. Catholic church has both. Communion is age 7 and confirmation 14 with greater emphasis on communion. Confirmation is just an affirmation that you want to be a Catholic. Communion is when you first have a holy communion wafer and there are all sorts of preparations of learning catechism having your first confession etc.