Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How much does a teacher in Poland earn?

How much does a teacher in Poland earn?

Mary

Re: How much does a teacher in Poland earn?

It depends on whether the teacher works for the state or for a private language school.

Experienced private language teachers earn on average 50 zloties per hour and do around 30 hours a week. 6000 a month.

Mary-

What do you mean by "teacher"? If you mean how much does a teacher working in a public (state) school regardless of subject or student age (primary, junior high, or secondary), well it depends. I know that is a bit unsatisfactory, but it depends more or less on how long one has been teaching and how adept school directors are at utilizing various resources. A starting teacher in a state school makes about (this is a rough estimate) between 800-900 zloties a month (this amount includes small perks averaged over the course of the year). A teacher with more time in, obviously, makes more - on average around 1,400. I haven't heard of any teacher making more than 2,000-2,200 a month in any state school.

I would say Viktor's post about wages in language schools is correct for the larger cities in Poland. In smaller towns that amount seems to be quite high. In our town, a provincial city of 150,000 people, I have not heard of any language teacher (Polish or native speaker) in a private language school making more than 40 zloty an hour; futhermore, around here 20-25 hours a week is more the norm for private language schools. So you can see that between my info and Viktor's, it depends. Again, maybe a bit unsatisfying.

Hope this helps you a bit.

A bit of perspective - a top state school head teacher will earn about 6000 zl a month.

I'd like to know where such schools are - I'll send my CV straight off.

Varsovian - are you saying that a "wychowawcza" in a Polish Ministry of Education funded school makes (or can make) up to 6,000 PLN a month? What do you mean by "top state school head teacher"? If that's the case, why is there a one day strike scheduled for tomorrow?

Maybe I am selling myself short - but that monthly salary you cite is more than triple the base salary for a teacher in our local vocational college and our local teacher's trainer college, and it is double any local private language school. 6,000 PLN and benefits? Man, tell me where to sign up.

Anyone else have insight? Any other teachers? Magda?

Well I have several years teaching experience; two five year Magister degrees in different subjects; and a pne year postgraduate diploma in another subject and earn less than 2,000 a month. Most teachers in Poland earn around this or rather less per month. Many less than 1,000 (that's 230 British Pounds!).

Our headmaster doesn't earn much more than I.

Maybe things are different around Warsaw?

Perhaps 'motywacyjny' payments are much higher.