Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
View Entire Thread
Re: Cost of living in Poland - now compared to a couple of years ago.

I find that impossible to believe - when was the last time you were here?

To suggest that prices in Poland are more expensive than in the west would indicate that Poland is well and truly finished and stand by for the revolution, as people commented in the times of communism "something will have to give".
The sad thing on top of all this is that wages are more than double in countries like Australia.

Its hard to specifically compare prices except speak generally, ie the price of eggs can vary a lot, like are they free range, what size, are they bought in a supermarket or market and lastly were they on a special.
Well having said that a dozen eggs would cost between 3$ (6zl) to 7$ (14zl) likewise bread could cost between 2$ to 10$ a loaf (4 to 20zl)
I recently purchased some John Dory fresh fish at the market, cost 35$ (70zlote) a kilogram. I doubt if too many people in Poland receiving the pension would purchase fish at that cost.
Unless wages increase dramatically in Poland something will have to give.

>>I seem to remember Marlboro cost 5 zloty for a pack of 20 on my last visit. Polish beer was 2 zloty a bottle.

Marlboro? 8.30 PLN last time I bought a pack... (still cheaper than the UK, but have increased massively recently)

Sorry it might not have been Marlboro. 5 zloty just stuck in my mind. I don't smoke but was amazed at how cheap cigarettes were. 8 zloty is still too cheap in my view.