Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tony Blair voted most popular foreign politician in Poland!

Blair voted most popular foreign politician in Poland!

Tony Blair has been voted the most popular foreign politician in Poland.

5,021 Poles were put to the test, and one in four said that they would love to have the former Brit PM running their country.

The reason Blair is so popular among the Pole who call him an outstanding statesman is that he opened up the UK to a million immigrants.

Second on the list was German Chancellor Angela Merkel, followed by US President George W Bush in the third spot, reports The Sun.

However, it seems that former Russian President Vladimir Putin isnt so popular, for half of those quizzed said that they would hate to have him run their country.

Re: Tony Blair voted most popular foreign politician in Poland!

Bush?!

"The reason Blair is so popular among the Pole who call him an outstanding statesman is that he opened up the UK to a million immigrants."

And why Labour will lose the next election.

"And why Labour will lose the next election."

No there are other reasons for that....I think Blair had a strong personality cult following too.

Ania, don't believe everything you read in newspapers. Immigration is the key issue. People don't just admit this openly, often.

I do some work for one of the major political parties at a local level and hear this time and time again.

Angela I don't think the main immigration issues are related to Poles in particular, but rather to refugees who don't work.

As you know I don't agree with the influx, but I think on the whole Poles have been very well tolerated. If anything it has greatly improved Polish/British relations and put Poland on the map. The mass influx has dwindled now anyway because of the weak pound. I'm hoping the Polish economy will improve, particularly as a result of the recent better relations with Germany.

I think huge hidden increases in taxes (particularly indirect and lack of increased thresholds, inheritance tax), imposition of policy e.g. wheely bin police, the erosion of civil liberties (look at the recent case of councils using anti terror law to snoop on ordinary people), and the old chestnuts of the NHS/education, will be the areas that let labour down. But the main issue will be something they cannot control and that is the economic downturn coming from the US. It's bound to put a huge dent into any labour policy setting in the next two years and no government finds it easy fighting an election during recession.

Immigration and its pressure on services is an issue, but that is because of the historic way local government, schools and hospital services are funded. This is using historic out of date population statistics and is bound to be out of step with migration patterns. This lack of flexibility is a problem that the conservatives would find equally challenging to fix.