Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: £33m in UK child benefit paid to foreign children who live abroad

"nobody is leeching taxpayers illegally."

Unfortunately, not true. A large number of Poles reportedly claim for children they don't have. Not i Poland. Not in the UK.

"It's all part of reciprocal agreements that have been agreed at governmental level."

Sorry, but Poland doesn't pay child benefit to anyone except the lowest of the low paid. It's not universal. I'm also 100% sure that not a single claim is being made by a British citizen in Poland for Polish child benefit! So what is reciprocal?

Well that's down to the government to deal with accordingly in tightening up requirements, investigations and policies.

I'm sure that there is fraud amongst British claims too, such as the one below which went undetected until he was claiming for 36 children. Considering all the payments went into one bank account, you'd think someone would have twigged.

http://news.scotsman.com/aberdeen/39Father-of-3639-is-jailed.4090760.jp

Hmm, not sure about the 1st child/subsequent children - haven't seen all the figures. Just wanted to illustrate that the figures are not outside the realm of believability.

>>the £26m is rather small beer in percentage terms.

Well, that's a different argument.

>>seeing as they lost all the child benefit data recently, we won't have any more accurate statistics from this year for a while

The cretins didn't lose it as such - they lost a copy. They still have all the data.

Im my opinion, and probably that of most neutral parties, the idea of UK welfare going to people living in East Europe is absolutely ridiculous.

And just because claiming this welfare is possible legally it doesn't make the people doing it any less of a scrounger or leech.

I would also suggest that people who leave children behind in Poland and swan off to England are unfit parents.

There is a lot of work available in Poland for those who want it.

Yes of course it's ludicrous. As is the fact that some guy in scotland managed to claim £86k for 36 kids into the same bank account before anyone noticed something was amiss....