Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Podolski saves German soccer team - again

Podolski and Klose (2 Poles playing on German national team) have been keeping Germany afloat for the last 4 years...

------------------

http://www.euro2008.uefa.com/

Germany forward Lukas Podolski admitted to having "mixed feelings" about scoring the goals against Poland which gave Joachim Löw's team a winning start to their UEFA EURO 2008™ campaign at the expense of his country of birth.

Important win

The FC Bayern München player struck in the 20th and 72nd minutes – but celebrated neither – in Klagenfurt to propel Germany to the top of Group B and earn himself the Carlsberg Man of the Match award. "Obviously I have mixed feelings," said Podolski. "I was born in Poland and I have a big family there so it's a very important thing for me. We applied what we worked on in training and must push forward from here." Following Croatia's success against Austria in the earlier fixture, the 23-year-old accepted the hard work was just beginning, saying: "As I said, this is the first step and we must continue – we can't relax. We have two days to refresh ourselves and then it's back to training and everything continues from there."

Obvious choice

Podolski's double and his all-round threat caught the eye of the UEFA Technical Team, who deemed him the best performer on show at the Wörthersee Stadion. Roy Hodgson, a member of the nine-man team of experts, said of his display: "I think he was the obvious choice for the award because, apart from playing very well, he scored two goals. However, it would be unfair to say he was the difference between the two teams, because I feel the two central midfield players, [Michael] Ballack and [Torsten] Frings, were very important. But it would be hard to justify not giving Podolski the award because he was very impressive and scored both goals."

German experience

The Fulham FC manager continued: "Germany are a hard team to beat because they have a lot of experience, pace and strength in their team. I thought the Polish had an equal share of possession but came up against a strong defence. At 1-0 down they were having to chase the game so they were always in danger of being caught on the counterattack as they were obliged to throw people forward. But they can feel a little hard done by."

Re: Podolski saves German soccer team - again

Beenhakker's tactics sucked (why wasn't Roger in the starting line-up?) and the players lacked drive.
A depressing performance.

Podolski moved to Germany as a baby (2 years old). Apart from those two years he has never lived in Poland or played football in Poland. He chooses to play for Germany. His family preferred to live in Germany rather than Poland. He's German.

The Poland team were truely dreadful.

And playing that black Brazilian (who incidently wouldn't be good enough to play international football for anyone else) in the Poland team sucks big time.

"Podolski moved to Germany as a baby (2 years old). Apart from those two years he has never lived in Poland or played football in Poland. He chooses to play for Germany. His family preferred to live in Germany rather than Poland. He's German."

I read the Polish team had a chance to take him on a couple of years back. They chose not to as whoever was in charge at that point did not recognise his potential, despite advice to do so. I was born in the UK, but that does not mean that if I were a sporting genius I'd rather play for England than Poland. He had opportunities in Germany not offered to him by Poland. You could see the emotion on his face when he scored the first goal. He looked like he was about to cry.

"And playing that black Brazilian (who incidently wouldn't be good enough to play international football for anyone else) in the Poland team sucks big time."

Why does it suck? It's hardly a first, is it? Look at Britain's romancing of Zola Budd just in time for her to wear the red, white and blue at the Olympics in 1984 - a case of affairs driven by the media, if I rightly recall. And it's not even a first here. Doesn't the name Olisadebe ring any bells?

And as for the statement that Roger wouldn't be good enough to play international football for anyone else... Isn't that a bit previous, after only having seen him play (on TV) for 45 minutes? He certainly seemed to wake the rest of the team up when he came on. Still, maybe you are a regular at Łazienkowska and I know nothing.

Budd's grandparents and all before that were British if I remember correctly.

The Brazilian Guerreiro has zero connection with Poland.

Brazil didn't want him in their side.

Including the Nigerian Olisadebe in the side was equally lacking in the whole spirit of international football. Again no Polish in him whatsoever.

Nigeria didn't want him in their side.

Desperate times.

Austria v Poland next. The weakest team in the tournament according to the bookies. How I wonnder will Poland do?

A 0-0 draw, is my guess.

I think one side of Zola's ancestry was British. The other Dutch. Anyway, as a South African she couldn't take part in the olympics at that time. If she could have done, I'm sure she would have run for SA.

"Austria v Poland next. The weakest team in the tournament according to the bookies. How I wonnder will Poland do?

A 0-0 draw, is my guess."

Interesting, considering Poland already beat Austria and Croatia in qualifiers.

If Croatia beats or ties with Germany it will be a helluva tournament.

Poland’s two starters were out with injuries for the Germany game.

In any case, Germany will probably go all the way, thanks to Podolski, Klose, Trochowski, and Borowski.

Podolski feels Polish, speaks Polish (with a heavy German accent), and made several efforts to get trials for the Polish national U21 side. Moreover, his mother was an outstanding sportswoman who represented her country.

The Polish football association told him it had thousands of talented youngsters who could kick a ball.

They only got interested in him after he'd already played for the German U21 side.

Speaks volumes.

He certainly spoke fluent Polish in a recent interview. Is that what a German Polish accent sounds like? I thought he had a rather provincial accent...

I reckon the corrupt sports system in Poland is to blame for a lot. They seem to have plenty of half decent and talented athletes who end up having to go abroad to achieve their full potential.

He learnt his football wholely in Germany, lives in Germany, and chooses to play for Germany. That ought really to be enough.

But, on the subject:

Politician Demands Poland Strip Podolski of Citizenship

A Polish far-right politician wants Polish-born German striker Lukas Podolski, who scored both goals in Germany's 2-0 victory over Poland in the European Championship on Sunday, to be stripped of his Polish citizenship

A Polish politician has demanded that German national team football player Lukas Podolski be stripped of his Polish citizenship, according to German media reports.

Miroslaw Orzechowski, a member of the far-right League of Polish Families, told a Polish radio station that he would take legal action if President Lech Kaczynski didn't accede to his demand, reports said.

His comments came after Polish-born Podolski, who holds both German and Polish passports, scored twice in Sunday's 2-0 German victory over Poland in the EURO 2008 European championship (more...).

In a separate interview, Orzechowski told Polish newspaper Dziennik: "If someone performs in the colors of a foreign state, there's already a desire there to renounce citizenship. You can't say it more clearly. And the president should interpret that fact like this: that it's intentional."

Podolski made headlines in Germany because his reaction to his two goals against Poland was noticeably muted. He didn't smile or cheer and even held his head in his hands after one of the goals.

"I didn't celebrate because Poland is part of my heart," the 23-year-old striker told German television after the match. "I left when I was two, but my dad and uncle and other relatives were in the stand. You have to have some respect for the country." ...

http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/0,1518,559011,00.html

"He learnt his football wholely in Germany, lives in Germany, and chooses to play for Germany. That ought really to be enough."

He probably learned footie from his ex Polish professional footballer dad and was probably kicking a ball around as soon as he could walk. He chose to play for Poland but they didn't want him at the time. It's not like anyone pretends that Guerreiro is Polish.

I don't think players get to play international footballers by kicking a ball around with their dad. The training is rather more involved than that.

It's not like anyone pretends that Guerreiro is Polish"

Why does he play for Poland then? This is not club football.

He chose to play for Poland but they didn't want him at the time."

Where is the evidence for this?

Podolski cool on passport threat

Germany striker Lukas Podolski has ridiculed a threat by a politician to withdraw his Polish passport by revealing he does not even have one.

The Bayern Munich hitman was born in Poland, but moved to Germany as a two-year-old and grew up near Cologne.

He scored twice as Joachim Low's side beat the Poles 2-0 on Sunday, prompting Polish politician Miroslav Orzechowski to threaten to take away his passport.

"The funny thing is, I don't even have a Polish passport," said Podolski in the Kolner Express newspaper.

"The Polish Football Association never showed an interest in me. Only when I played for the Under-21s and was in the public eye did they start to make moves."

The 23-year-old refused to celebrate his two goals against the country of his birth and was seen consoling Polish family members in the stands after Sunday's Group B clash.

Despite Orzechowski's comments, Podolski maintains he has and always will have a strong relationship with Poland, although he is fully committed to winning Euro 2008 with Germany, as he showed at the weekend.

"I made a decision for Germany and it was the right one," he added. "Still, I have two hearts beating inside me."

itv-football.co.uk/story/0,19239,6145_3681869,00.html

"I don't think players get to play international footballers by kicking a ball around with their [ex professional footballer] dad. The training is rather more involved than that."

"Where is the evidence for this?"

It's in various articles & varsovian says so.

Ania,

I admit to knowing virtually nothing of football and don't care who plays for the German side. I don't like sport in general.

But, Podolski clearly states in the article quoted above:

"I made a decision for Germany and it was the right one"

Straight from the horse's mouth.

Could it be that because the Polish side aren't any good, some supporters attempt to claim players from other teams as there own in order to feel better?

Reminds me a bit of the old Nicolaus Copernicus debate ...

"Reminds me a bit of the old Nicolaus Copernicus debate ... "

No it has no similarities with that.

If you’re gonna quote Hans use the entire quote.

"I made a decision for Germany and it was the right one," he added. "Still, I have two hearts beating inside me."

Straight from the horse’s mouth

Podolski feels affinity toward Poland. He’s part of a generation whose parents were forced to leave their country due to lack of opportunity and oppression. Obviously, he had no choice in the matter.

And so what if he’s proud of his heritage despite playing for Germany? He’s where the money is and more power to him. It’s a free market after all.

It is, however, most amusing to see how some seek to play down the significance of the fact that he feels so strongly about the country of his birth.

“Reminds me a bit of the old Nicolaus Copernicus debate ...”

Thanks for the laugh. There is no debate on that matter.

Every single respectable and reputable academic source considers Copernicus 100% Polish – since he was born, raised, and educated in medieval Poland.

Like, for instance, every American school textbook.
Of course, Prussian expellees have all sorts of funny ideas…

Oh please don't start a copernicus debate on here - this is not wiki and we are all grown ups.

Suffice it to say that it has no similarities whatsoever with the Podolski situation. Anyone who is truly familiar with the debate will know that.

An easier game for Poland?

Croatia to rest stars against Poland

Klagenfurt, Austria (Sports Network) - Croatia coach Slaven Bilic has confirmed his intention to rest several key players who are threatened by suspension for its final group match against Poland on Monday.

Croatia have already booked its spot in the quarterfinals as Group B winners and Robert Kovac, Josip Simunic, Darijo Srna and Luka Modric, who all have one booking to their names, will play no part in the final game.

The likes of Niko Kranjcar, Ivica Olic and Niko Kovac could also be rested as Bilic looks to keep his players fresh for the knockout stages.

"Players with yellow cards will not play against Poland," Bilic confirmed.

They will be slaughtered tonight. I don't want to watch....

Croatia will play their second team so Poland have some chance. Croatia don't need to win or even draw the match.

Croatia 1 - Poland 0

They think it's all over! It is now

What a sense of relief to not have to watch such awful playing....except of course the goalkeeper, who is not only a wonderful saver, but very delectable!

Yes, the best looking Polish footballer. I read that his wife has just had a baby.

Boruc, the "delectable" goalkeeper, indeed had a good, albeit short, tournament. I'm sure he earned several million Euros for himself; I wonder how many scouts/teams from around Europe are interested in him now.

Another Ania - you mentioned in the other thread that you hadn't seen a good team yet. You're not entertained by the Dutch? 8 goals in three matches... that's enough scoring to get even an American interested.