Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Podolski saves German soccer team - again

If you’re gonna quote Hans use the entire quote.

"I made a decision for Germany and it was the right one," he added. "Still, I have two hearts beating inside me."

Straight from the horse’s mouth

Podolski feels affinity toward Poland. He’s part of a generation whose parents were forced to leave their country due to lack of opportunity and oppression. Obviously, he had no choice in the matter.

And so what if he’s proud of his heritage despite playing for Germany? He’s where the money is and more power to him. It’s a free market after all.

It is, however, most amusing to see how some seek to play down the significance of the fact that he feels so strongly about the country of his birth.

“Reminds me a bit of the old Nicolaus Copernicus debate ...”

Thanks for the laugh. There is no debate on that matter.

Every single respectable and reputable academic source considers Copernicus 100% Polish – since he was born, raised, and educated in medieval Poland.

Like, for instance, every American school textbook.
Of course, Prussian expellees have all sorts of funny ideas…

Oh please don't start a copernicus debate on here - this is not wiki and we are all grown ups.

Suffice it to say that it has no similarities whatsoever with the Podolski situation. Anyone who is truly familiar with the debate will know that.

An easier game for Poland?

Croatia to rest stars against Poland

Klagenfurt, Austria (Sports Network) - Croatia coach Slaven Bilic has confirmed his intention to rest several key players who are threatened by suspension for its final group match against Poland on Monday.

Croatia have already booked its spot in the quarterfinals as Group B winners and Robert Kovac, Josip Simunic, Darijo Srna and Luka Modric, who all have one booking to their names, will play no part in the final game.

The likes of Niko Kranjcar, Ivica Olic and Niko Kovac could also be rested as Bilic looks to keep his players fresh for the knockout stages.

"Players with yellow cards will not play against Poland," Bilic confirmed.

They will be slaughtered tonight. I don't want to watch....

Croatia will play their second team so Poland have some chance. Croatia don't need to win or even draw the match.

Croatia 1 - Poland 0

They think it's all over! It is now

What a sense of relief to not have to watch such awful playing....except of course the goalkeeper, who is not only a wonderful saver, but very delectable!

Yes, the best looking Polish footballer. I read that his wife has just had a baby.

Boruc, the "delectable" goalkeeper, indeed had a good, albeit short, tournament. I'm sure he earned several million Euros for himself; I wonder how many scouts/teams from around Europe are interested in him now.

Another Ania - you mentioned in the other thread that you hadn't seen a good team yet. You're not entertained by the Dutch? 8 goals in three matches... that's enough scoring to get even an American interested.