Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Bird of prey in my garden this morning

Super picture.

Is it eating the pigeon in this picture?

It is standing on the feathers and was still feeding when the photo was taken. It flew off when I tried to video but then returned later to finish the meal. Unfortunately I had to take the pic from quite far away using zoom so not as clear as I'd have liked.

I thought it was a peregrine falcon as they have been spotted in the area and breed in London. There are no spottings of sparrow hawks, but maybe they look so similar that it's hard to tell.

How close are you to Sutton?
http://www.sutton.gov.uk/environment/sncv/The Warren.htm

The two are similar; the Peregrin is larger (duck-sized)and the Sparrow Hawk is smaller (big pigeon-sized).

The sparrow hawk female has the white brow.

Croydon is about 20 miles away which I guess isn't far in bird miles. Most of the pictures I've seen of sparrowhawks look a bit weedy compared to the bird I saw. It was definitely bigger than a pigeon. It was quite wide and chunky. But then the eyes and the white markings do point to a sparrow hawk. Falcons have dark eyes and this one's eyes look yellow. If it's a sparrow hawk then it's a much rarer sighting in this neck of the woods. I wonder if I should report it to the rspb....

Or it could have been a goshawk.....there has been one seen in surbiton in July.

The only exciting bird I ever saw in Banstead (I lived near Croydon) was the late, lamented Concorde that flew over my house at altitude every Friday afternoon.
Fancy, something like that happening in Surbiton, centre of all banality. "Come friendly bombs, rain on Surbiton!"