Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Freedom of Speech in Poland

News

Poland's president Lech Kaczynski allegedly threatens top journalist

A Polish television channel has expressed its fears over freedom of speech in Poland after the country’s president allegedly threatened to “destroy” one of its journalists.

President Lech Kaczynski is said to have attacked Monika Olejnik, a famed television reporter, following the conclusion of a heated television interview during last week’s European Union summit in Brussels. “You’re on my blacklist, and you’ll regret it,” he is quoted as saying by Polish media. “I’ll destroy you.”

In a letter to Poland’s broadcasting authorities Ms Olejnik’s employer, TVN, a leading independent television station, defended the journalist, adding that the apparent outburst by Mr Kaczynski “raised concerns over free speech” in Poland.

According to one of Mr Kaczynski’s top aides, Piotr Kownacki, the president had taken offence to slights made by Ms Olejnik against his identical twin brother, Jaroslaw, the leader of Poland’s main opposition party and a former prime minister.

Although Ms Olejnik said that Mr Kaczynski later telephoned to apologise, and that for her the issue was now “closed”, the president’s apparent outburst will sour his already fraught relationship with the press.

Since he became president in 2005 Mr Kaczynski has regarded the media with distrust, claiming it to be biased against him and brother. He also backed an unpopular attempt by his brother, when Jaroslaw was still prime minister, to make journalists and editors declare any links they may have had with the Communist era secret services

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/poland/3230374/Polands-president-Lech-Kaczynski-allegedly-threatens-top-journalist.html

Re: Freedom of Speech in Poland

T V N = Tusk Vision Network

I don't rate the media much in Poland. What truly depresses me though is the pathetic level of reporting in the UK, both TV and newspapers.
The only investigative reporting is done by the news magazines.

BBC news is a waste of space, Sky News is laughable, so I end up watching France 24 when I want to know something and the 'Russia Today' Putin mouthpiece when I want to feel offended.