Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
UK satellite TV

At long last I splashed out PLN 7000 on a 2m dish.
BBC1 (occasionally 2), the various regions, all the ITVs ...
A blast of normality - should have done it years ago.

Re: UK satellite TV

Most programmes can now be watched through the internet in perfect quality for free. BBC has something called iplayer. Sky have a similar system, which you might have to pay something to use. But not much. If you have a good connection and large computer screen there's little need for sat tv plugged into a traditional tv.

Anyway, what's wrong with Polish tv?

Unfortunately, it's not possible to watch programmes broadcast via iplayer if you are outside the UK. We watch mostly downloaded torrents from the internet.

Polish television generally sucks, big time.

It is possible to hide your location through using relaying websites in the UK, but somehow I've always felt a bit scared this might open me up to some nasty bugs and, anyway, who wants to watch TV on a computer screen? You really just want to sit in the lounge and turn the telly on, not hide away in some dark corner like a teenage boy with a skin mag!

I'm telling you guys, a Slingbox is the way to go. Ask a relative in the UK to plug into a spare tv anywhere in the house and hook it up to a modem and you are in business. All perfectly legal, you can watch things in real time when they are being broadcasted, and the software on your PC in Polska (or anywhere else in the world) allows you to record shows like a DVR would. All considerably less in cost and space than a satellite dish.