Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: In Poland, Style Comes Used and by the Pound

The Primark in Ealing Broadway, with its low prices and new products, is as good a place as any in Britain to listen to Polish being spoken in the aisles.

I have more respect for those that understand value than for those that spend exorbitantly on some branded fashion.

Re: In Poland, Style Comes Used and by the Pound

I do not see how "new" this info is. Buying clothes at a lumpex is hardly new or fashionable - most of my female friends/acquintances having been doing it since well before I met them. My sister-in-law is especially famous for finding incredible bargains.

In fact I remember suggesting to a nice young Englishman teaching here in western Poland that he get a warmer coat before winter settled in (back when there was real winter in Poland, not this gray damp mess we have now). The nice young Englishman was reluctant to spend valuable pub money on a coat, so we sent him to a lumpex. He found a nice, servicable coat for less than 50 snots. This was back in '96, and he looked just like one of the guys from The Boo Radleys when wearing the coat. True story.

The bad thing about lumpexes (in my mind) is that there generally is a much smaller selection of men's clothing than women's. Occasionally there might be some nice retro ties (always good for Halloween/fancy dress parties), but I have yet to find one of those old, stylish leather coats you see the old Polish smoothie gentlemen wearing. I guess men hold on to clothing until it is falling apart.