Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Lack of interest in local history

In my wife's village there is a ruined memorial and a ruined chapel in a farmer's garden. The whole thing is falling down - a real wreck. I asked my wife about it and she knew nothing at all, which is strange seeing as she has a pretty encyclopedic knowledge of everything to do with the village. All she could tell me was it used to be "folwark" there - where landless labourers lived.

Anyway, I fell into conversation with the father of a friend of my son and he told me that hundreds of Austro-Hungarian soldiers were buried there after the 1914 battle of Anielin-Laski (Świetlikowa Wola). Years later (he didn't know when) attempts were made to exhume, but the soil conditions were such that the bodies had become irretrievable, and there were health fears too. This bloke also used to handle drainage in the area, and said that animal remains decomposed quickly there too.

Just think, nowadays people are living on top of the remains of hundreds of bodies. Spooky in the extreme. It's just another of the gruesome secrets in which my wife's village excels!

Most people know nothing about the battle, and it isn't taught about in local schools. It's as if it never happened.

Re: Lack of interest in local history

There's an awful lot of history not taught in Poland. History teaching in Poland is highly nationalistic.