Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Forum: Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
Summer in England

Devon - absolutely glorious!
My family had only a week there (Longcombe cottages - near Totnes), but it was fantastic. I didn't know before just how good it was. And our accommodation was top class.
We cut our return journey by a stop-off in the New Forest - one of my family's favourite locations. And at Angel's Farm, Lyndhurst we met someone from our own village in Poland, currently living with her English husband in Deptford, sth London. Small world, huh?
One final comment - the English countryside is utterly racist: only the sheep have black faces!! Apparently, non-whites find the idea of traipsing round fields and forests to be below their dignity - something for penniless peasants. At least, that's what Indian friends have told me.

Re: Summer in England

Whole heartedly agree. Somerset, Devon, and Dorset are super places. My second home almost. Picturesque, relaxed, relatively crime-free, affluent, white.

Edit - we are there next week or the week after for a month.

One month??
My goodness, I need a month's holiday too!!

Our place is empty there now. No tenants. And as I am self employed my time is thankfully my own

Father-in-law will keep watch over our Polish house while we are away.

We should discuss a property time swap sometime - I have a flat on the Greek mainland for beach/yacht lovers.

Greece. Not my cup of tea. Sorry.

Just returned from a super few weeks in Dorset and Somerset.

(We will return again for an extended stay in a few weeks time. My wife prefers the west of England to both Germany and Poland.)

We were driving my wife's Polish registered car, and surprisingly didn't see a single other car with Polish number plates in England.

A fair number of large vans and trucks with Polish plates on the highways though.

Could it be that Poles in the UK are now more settled and so have British registered cars?

Shame.

As for UK registered cars, I see quite a lot of them in my village outside Warsaw.
By the way, just this morning I was asked by a Polish woman if I was English, and I immediately realised from her accent that she lived in my home region of England. Strangely, she made English working class noises but could hardly make herself understood in English, despite me being a very sympathetic listener. I wanted to speak Polish with her but she would have felt insulted, I think. 27 years spent in England ...
She's now finishing off a house to the west of Warsaw and looking forward to her retirement and getting away from "too many Pakistanis and blacks". Knowing her city (Bradford) very well, she has a point.

Quote: Hans

Could it be that Poles in the UK are now more settled and so have British registered cars?

Many have returned to Poland Hans, or they have gone elsewhere. I see very few Polish registered cars here nowadays. Lots of people may work here for a few months and then go to Poland for Summer or for good.

And with the zloty gaining against most other currencies, more will be encouraged to return home.

Vasovian - how can we get in touch? I'd be interested in leasing your Greek flat...

Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Web Calendars   Counters & Site Stats   Online Photo Albums   Cheap Domains