Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Varsovian

I flew from Athens airport early on Sunday morning - the fires were truly awesome. Poor people.

Re: Varsovian

I have never seen the attraction of a vacation in places like Greece or Turkey. Sitting on some beach sunning oneself, picking up a terrible stomach bug, fending off beggers on every corner, etc. Give me Northern Europe anytime.

Greece has a special atmosphere and some fantastic places if you know where to go. Samaria gorge in Crete is a fantastic day walk too. Outside the tourist areas, crete is probably one of the most beautiful and diverse islands.

No beggars or annoying street-sellers where I go to - and no-one has to guard their bags on the beach.
The height of summer isn't the best time to go - too hot. But siesta is good for you. love the food and wine too.
We're looking forward to spring and autumn trips (and more exploring) when the children fly the nest - in the meantime, Greek sun, sea and sand provide the perfect backdrop for a relaxing 2 week stopover away from it all. Just a terrible alphabet though.

I find different greek islands have very different characters. I found Kos to be very annoying in terms of being pestered to buy sunbeds or food on the beach etc. Cretians have a very different culture and attitude from the other islands Ive been to. They are also the best looking greeks Ive come across. Some (of the men!) are really beautiful (like greek gods haha).
I didn't visit the ruins at knossos but they looked spectacular in photos my friends took. I think if you like everything squeeky clean, chrome finished and shiny then greece is not going to be your cup of tea. If you like hot weather, a warm atmosphere, character, fresh calamari straight from the sea, ancient history, fantastic scenery and don't mind walking down a dusty road to the beach then greece has everything you need for a perfect holiday. But I think it is more a young people's place. These days I quite like the idea of going to mainland france and staying in a chateau or going somewhere along the coast there.

It's shocking how little of France I've explored, especially as my wife and I used to live in Kent and speak French pretty well. I succumbed to a habit of visiting the family farm in Poland every summer to keep her sane, then babies came, then emigration to Poland.
Perhaps it's time to spread our wings a bit more. Hmm - time to visit friends in Toulouse ...