Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Forum: Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
Positive discrimination for Catholic churchgoers in schools?

The Constitutional Court has taken the brave decision of saying that, as school students are free to choose between "religion" (i.e. RC instruction)and ethics, then the religion report marks should enter into calculations for the all-important report card average - a major factor when fighting for an oversubscribed high school place.
This is being disingenuous, however, as only 300 of the 32k schools involved offer ethics!
On the plus side, the priest likes our son, often says a special hello in church and is an excellent dinner guest. And - no - we're not being pleasant for mercenary reasons, but you see how things could turn.

Re: Positive discrimination for Catholic churchgoers in schools?

"a major factor when fighting for an oversubscribed high school place."

The first i've heard of high schools being oversubscribed. Virtually everyone in Poland now completes high school education and according to teacher friends there's a place in an 'LO' for anyone who wants one.

Perhaps it is different in Warsaw?

It's really difficult to get into the high school (liceum age 16) of your choice in Warsaw. There's a points-based system where you are judged on 3 criteria:
1) national exam results at age 16
2) school report marks
3) other achievements/skills.

Getting a place in a top-grade Warsaw high school is highly competitive and the level demanded in school when you get there is execeptionally high. My wife teaches intelligent children who are having problems coping with their schoolwork.

Naturally, there are other schools designed merely to keep youths occupied for a few years, but I wouldn't want to send my kids there and it wouldn't set them up for a good university afterwards.

People here are not dumb - they know which schools / universities are good and which are not.

On standards.

Of course, there are some excellent students in Poland.

However, I personally know of several Poles who often joke at the 'workload' they had in order to finish their magister degree. All have good jobs now despite the fact that they are probably no better educated or equipped for their jobs than someone who doesn't have the infamous 'magister' title from a 'top ten' Polish university.

I am also pretty sure that the same 'pay your fee equals a degree' or 'it's easier for the lecturer to pass rather than fail inferior students' degree courses are available in Warsaw.

When 90% of younger Poles are enrolled on a degree course or have a degree then standards suffer.

A degree from Poland meant something prior to around 1995. Not now.

I should also say that the same dumbing-down of education is not limited to Poland.

Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Web Calendars   Free Guestbooks   Free Web Tools   Cheap Domains