Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Punchkies (sp)

Hello.

I would like some info to settle a freindly argument between my wife and I. We both enjoy the pastry punchkies, but have a difference of opinion on pronunciation.

She is from Texas with Polish roots and pronoucnes them like Punch keys.

I am from Ohio where we pronounce them Poonch keys.

Anyone willing to help me on this? Also, a correct spelling would be appreciated.

Re: Punchkies (sp)

correct spelling is
singular: pączek
plural: pączeki

itys hard to explain how the letter ą is pronuiced but
punch-key would be closer to the correct punctuation than poonch key

What are Punchkies?

oh my....those are so hard to find if you are not in an area with Polish neighborhoods...People look at me like I am nuts ...lol
Lauren
Yahoo:CoCoEyes4u

Ponchkies

I'd say the pronunciation is more like Ponchkies for an English speaker - they are Polish donuts / doughnuts.

pączki

P-ą-ch-kee

The sound ą is pronounced like om, except that the lips or tongue are not completely closed to pronounce the m, leaving a nasal resonance instead.

Erasmus