Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
English to Polish Translation

I am studying Polish and trying to write a letter. Can someone please help me with this sentence:
'Thank you Roman for being our chauffer and for keeping us all amused.' My attempt is:
'Roman, dziękujemy za bycie nasz piecyk i za utrzymywanie nas wszystkich rozbawionych.'

Re: English to Polish Translation

"Roman, dziękujemy za bycie nasz piecyk i za utrzymywanie nas wszystkich rozbawionych."

Hi. I think that sentence is easy to understand and will make a smile on face person who is to read it :)

But if You want in in pure polish it may look like this one in a free translation:

Romanie [or "Romku"- that's private] , dziękujemy Ci za to, że tak nas cudownie rozgrzewałeś i za To, że potrafiłeś przez cały ten czas nas z powodzeniem rozbawiać.

I don't know how formal is Your letter, so please, don't think a lot about it if it makes some trouble :)

Regards. Kuba

PS. Henceforth:
"dziękujemy za bycie nasz[ym] piecyk[iem]" :-)
Best regards. Kuba

Kuba,
Thanks for your help. I can see why it might make the person reading it smile. My Polish-English dictionary translates 'piecyk' as 'heater, stove,cockle, cooking oven, gas fire, chaufer, chauffer, gas water-heater'.
The word I meant to use is 'chauffeur' (szofer).
Chaufer or Chauffer is not listed in English dictionaries but can sometimes be used as an alternative spelling for the correct word Chauffeur. I do not understand the link between chaufer and stove, heater etc.
Anyway I am curious how that will alter your pure Polish translation of my sentence. In my letter I am trying to thank a distant relative who kindly drove us all around on a recent visit to Lviv.
One final thing, is it incorrect to use the nominative case 'Roman' as an alternative to the vocative 'Romanie'?

Thanks again, Mal