Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: BBC Prime in Poland

BBC Prime has the potential to be a very useful tool in language learning. Unfortunately the primitively translated Polish subtitles spoil many of the programmes.

BBC PLEASE CHANGE TO ENGLISH SUBTITLES. THERE ARE MANY POLES LEARNING ENGLISH AND READING EXACTLY WHAT WE HEAR IN ENGLISH WOULD BE VERY USEFUL. READING PRIMITIVE POLISH TRANSLATION IS NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My favourite BBC programme is the one with the weird Englishman called Nigel who set up a restaurant in France which failed and is now living in a tent and keeping chickens and goats . Second favourite are the BBC LEARNING documentaries on very late at night.

BBC Prime is not a BBC company.
They are an under-resourced commercial company which only buys programmes from BBC archives.
If you live in Poland get a Sky subscription and for GBP 20 per month (about PLN 110) you get Channels 4 & 5 (regular British terrestrial channels) and a whole lot of other English language channels and radio stations. Obviously, for this you need a satellite dish. If you live in western Poland you'll be able to get BBC 1 as well - including all the regional channels. In central and eastern Poland you'd need a 3m dish to get BBC.

Interesting, but does this explain the poor quality Polish subtitling on their programming - NO! If BBC Prime are lacking in funds why waste money on this?

The Sky satellite information is useful. What are BBC 4 and 5 like?

I don't get BBC Prime, but I used to. It'd be better to have English subtitles - I know I watch Klan (a Polish soap) with Polish subtitles.
Channels 4 & 5 are pretty decent all-purpose TV channels. The other channels give pretty good service as well.
Home from home for me, and invaluable for creating ann authentic English environment for my bilingual kids, so they don't feel like foreigners in England.

Are you sure BBC Prime is not part of BBC? I thought it was ...

If you don't like the Polish subtitles on BBC Prime you can find out about getting English tv programmes at this webpage:-
http://boxsat.com/sky-digital-satellite-channels-europe/

I know about BBC Prime because I actually contacted them to complain!
Contacting these people is not rocket science - poor service or errors should be brought to the attention of the people responsible.

I aslo sent an email complaining about the Polish sub-titles. I didn't even get a response. maybe someone who works for BBC Prime has a 'deal' ( ) going with the crappy Polish sub-titling provider. I don't see any other reason for putting them on the screen. English sub-titles would be infinitely better.

I sent them the link to this forum maybe they will read it!

Great minds think alike! I also did the same .

BBC prime is good for lerners. But polish subtitles do not help.

BBC is great way to improve listening skills. I like programme Changing Rooms. Teletubbies is funny for children learning English. Polish translation is not necessary.

How do I get BBC Prime? My cable connection hre in Wroclaw only seems to have BBC World.

Dump cable and get 'cyfra plus'.
Great! you can change the language to english. I have 2 film channals, 4 news, BBC prime, discovery, animal planet, and a whole bunch of god rubbish plus hundreds of non english.

Breslau Brit (!!)
Get Sky TV through a UK address, and almost feel like at home.
And being in SW Poland, you'll probably get real BBC too - then you'd be laughing!!
Life is so much better when you don't feel cut off from home.

I agree! Life somehow does seem a whole lot better with access to British tv. My Cyfra Plus connection (and therefore all access to BBC tv) went down for three days a couple of weeks back and the pain was intense

I'm going to investigate the Sky digibox thing shortly.

>>>varsovian

Why did you make Brit's nick more 'german-like' by writing Breslau Brit?
If you want to prove how smart you are you should have written 'Vratislavian Brit' instead of 'Breslau Brit'.
If you are Volksdeutsch who loves Germans why your nick is not Warschauer but varsonian?

I do hate very much when Poles apply German names to Polish cities when they talk to English speaking people. It's no wonder why you can still see Danzig or Breslau or Posen on an English or American map instead of Gdansk, Wroclaw and Poznan.

Breslau zurueck zum Reich - do you like it?

The real reason - and this goes so deep it sinks without a trace - for me writing "Breslau Brit" is that Brits tend to pervert all nicknames. People called Mr Black tend to get called "Chalky" (precisly because they are not white), bald people get called "Curly".
So if someone calls themself "Wrocław Brit" then I can find no better perversion of that than by Germanising it.
Besides, there was a funny Jewish actor called Bernie Breslaw (the tall one in the "Carry On" films).
No offence meant, cultural differences at work here.

... and you'd become Romulus!

I was a big fan of BBC Prime until my useless cable tv company Multimedia removed it from the premium package and replaced it with a third rate fashion tv channel in Polish. I just wanted to say that the Polish subtitles were and probably still are useless. Out of time and poorly translated. BBC please replace them with English language subtitles. ESL/EFL learners in Poland would find this very beneficial. And it might even convince me to get a satellite subscription to BBC Prime .

I also don't like the Polish subtitles on BBC Prime. They are not useful for Polish learners of English. Rnglish subtitles would be super .

Here is the reply I got from the BBC

Thanks for your email.

As per our previous responses we take any problem with the Polish subtitles extremely seriously and when you have written to us, have thanked you for bringing the matter to our attention so the engineering team can look into this.

I once again reiterate that we take the translation and maintenance of the subtitling service very seriously because we know, for many viewers it is an essential resource and we have logged your comments with not only the engineering team but also the appropriate channel managers.

We wish to thank you once again for your feedback which is extremely useful for the BBC Prime team and hope that we can look forward to your continued support in 2006.

Regards,

Douglas Spitz
BBC Prime

>>> Agata

'Rnglish subtitles would be super'

You can have them sometimes by teletext. I can't remember the page number now but try 888 (on BBC Prime).

The email letter you got sounds like the usual bullshit that these type of people come up with when they actually plan to do nothing to improve the service they provide.

It stands to reason that reading subtitles in your mother tongue is pointless if you are trying to learn a language. I know when i've watched a spanish or mexican movie with english subtitles that I do NOT listen to the spanish, but just read the english. And my spanish isn't so bad.

Boycott this channel. Maybe then they will do something to improve the service.

Boycot the BBC and watch what? we are in Poland we don't have much choice of English programs to watch.

Like I said earlier, get Sky!
Channels 4 & 5 (normal UK telly), plus a selection of others, depending on your pocket. For western Poland, BBC interactive too, with all regional programmes.

Worst is quiz shows on BBC. The answer is on screen at same time as question!

Boycot the BBC and watch what? we are in Poland we don't have much choice of English programs to watch.

I thought repeating yourself was a sign of old age ...

OK now you know I'm just a senile old git.
have I said that already?

I like BBC Prime. The only negative things are endless repeats and Polish subtitles. My favourite programme on BBC Prime is Eastenders .

I've bought a small place in the north west of Poland and will live there for at least some of the year. Anyone know how I can receive BBC tv and Irish channels via satellite there? Should I bring a sky digibox with me?

YES!!! Bring the digibox, a 90cm dish will pick up most stuff but BBc you will need a huge monster of a dish. I was told a 3m dish is needed, everthing else no problem. The only choice here is Cyfra plus. giving you BBC prime, BBC world and the usual free news and god channels. Optional are national Geographic and a couple of film channels HBO and Cyfra, both in english with regular repeated films.

so a freeview satellite receiver or digibox will work with a 90cm dish if you don't want bbc tv? 3m!?! how can you mount such a monster dish on your house?

how about itv? my wife watches corrie and emmerdale every day

I don't think a monster dish is needed in NW Poland.

where have you been varsovian?

I've been to Austria - the only civlised German-speaking country!

That's not true !

Were you skiing?

Yeah, it's not true!

There's Montenegro too.

Have the Polish subtiltles improved or been switched to English on BBC since you boys complained? I bet not .

NO CHANCE!

My tip - don't go skiing in Poland!
The only negative thing about Austria is the Germans - they are like Austrians, only loud and unpleasant. They sort of remind me of the Brits you meet on the Costa del Sol ...

Has anyone ever read the reviews that Polish television magazines give BBC programmes ?

Since I bought my place in Poland I've begun watching some BBC programmes on BBC Prime. I have to say I like what they show. Yesterday they screened the very funny Fawlty Towers with John Cleese.

And as Remus says if you click the teletext button and page 888 you can have English subtitles for some programmes. This is wonderful for anyone learning or wishing to improve their English.

wtf is going on with BBC Prime?

Eastenders shunted to Saturdays and Sundays, Doctors going off-air, programming concentrating on 'lifestyle' and comedy.

Sounds like their budget has been slashed somewhat...

What no Eastenders and Doctors? Weird.

I just checked their website, and they sort of explain it on this page: http://www.bbcprime.com/faq.aspx?menu=FAQs

They say it's "to keep things fresh". Hah.

They're also stopping BBC Learning.

'keeping things fresh' is just a euphamism for budgetary cutbacks. The channel is going to the dogs and soon the cable and satellite networks will drop it.

THEN they'll be in trouble.

Believe it or not, the British government actually pay the cable networks to have it. And pay for the (crap) subtitles.

BBC Prime disappeared from Polish cable networks for a year. The biggest network (Aster City) said that nobody who responded to their survey watched it. Not surprising, since the survey was conducted among Polish citizens only: they asked for ID card number, thereby ignoring the thousands of non-Poles who live here and pay the same subscription fees. Racist or what?

BBC Prime only returned when the UK government agreed to subsidise it.

What happened to Eastenders and Doctors?

Thanks cezarek. I found the info you pointed to. Here it is for the lazy among us:

Where is EASTENDERS?
From 22nd July, EastEnders moves to it's brand new slot on Saturday and Sunday at 1800CET/CAT as part of BBC PRIME's new line-up. We've updated and simplified the schedule to accommodate new shows coming up, and allow for a greater appeal as the channel continues to grow.

The four weekly EastEnders episodes will now premiere in two blocks over the weekend - one hour at 1800 on Saturday and another hour at 1800 on Sunday, with late-night and mid-morning repeats every Saturday and Sunday. The four episodes will also be repeated Tuesday to Friday at 0230CET.

Why has DOCTORS stopped?
Sadly the current series of Doctors has now finished. The change was to accommodate BBC Prime's new and simplified schedule. The decision was also part of a restructuring of the channel to ensure that the we achieve a local and relevant audience appeal. Please check the schedules for these in the future.

Re: Re: BBC Prime in Poland

Anyone been wating the absolutely sidesplittingly funny ALAN PARTRIDGE on BBC Prime?

My comment seems to have been lost somewhere above. So I'll add it again.

Anyone else watch and like ALAN PARTRIDGE on BBC Prime?

Alan Partridge?
The funniest thing he ever did was in real life - he had an affair with Courtney Love, ex of the dead Kurt Kobain. How low and uncool could she go?
I preferred him on the radio, I must admit. Something to do with his ugly mug.

The funniest thing he ever did was in real life - he had an affair with Courtney Love, ex of the dead Kurt Kobain.

Really ?

Right now they're rerunning the episodes where he's living in a mobile home; hanging around the all-night service station; and being serviced by a blond Ukrainian woman. Maybe I've been starved of good comedy recently because I find him most amusing.

"Maybe I've been starved of good comedy recently"

I may have similar syndrome; having nothing better to watch I let myself get addicted to "Kiss me Kate" on BBC Prime (until recently). Or my wife made me? But I'm much better already :) .

But my favourite is "Top Gear", of course. I don't watch it as "petrolhead", but as comedy fan - this show is so funny! Heck, I even bought and read Jeremy Clarkson's book :) .

I may have similar syndrome; having nothing better to watch I let myself get addicted to "Kiss me Kate" on BBC Prime (until recently). Or my wife made me? But I'm much better already .

But my favourite is "Top Gear", of course. I don't watch it as "petrolhead", but as comedy fan - this show is so funny! Heck, I even bought and read Jeremy Clarkson's book .

Same here, on all points .

Apart from the not being a petrolhead bit, that is.

I have even been known to rewatch the programme on TVN Turbo. Now that is sad.

"I have even been known to rewatch the programme on TVN Turbo."

OK, since you mentioned this... So do I :D .

Moreover, I tend to rewatch the rewatched shows. Like the one with new Michael Gambon's "celebrity lap". I saw it four times or so and it's still funny. I'm in tears whenever Gambon's telling his story.

But apart from this, I'm perfectly healthy :) .

They're showing a rerun of 'Nighty Nighty' with subtitles. I had the TV on when some people (Polish) popped round and they were pissing themselves with laughter - wouldn't let me turn it off. It really is very good.

You reckon that's sad...

First I download the episodes just after they've been aired on BBC2.
Then I watch them again on TVN Turbo.
Then I watch them again on BBC Prime

:(

Best things on TV at the moment, comedywise is the new series of Extras.

I also notice that TVP are showing the first season of the new Doctor Who on Sundays.

I haven't seen 'nighty, nighty'. I'll look out for it.

Anyone else seen the five-minute short 'the Witness - the James Dean Story' more than 20 times on BBC Prime? I believe I have .

There's nothing about the death of James Dean I don't know. I even know the name of the sheriff who first found the car crash in which Dean was killed ...

All thanks to BBC Prime.

First I download the episodes just after they've been aired on BBC2.

How do you do that?

Not only James Dean. I also know more than I need to about Pathe TV clothes fashion from the 50s and 60s than anybody really needs to and have turned off the same episode of 'Spooks' four times.

They seem to buy only one series (even one episode) of something and then show it ad infinitum.

And what's the 'Twentieth Century Hall of Fame' about? And why is it always Louis Armstrong? There must have been more episodes.

yep .

What programmes do you think or know Poles watch and enjoy on BBC Prime?

something called torrents - people in the UK upload the episodes right after they've aired.

This one ?

http://www.torrentz.com/

Is it easy to set up and trouble free?

"What programmes do you think or know Poles watch and enjoy on BBC Prime?"

Among my friends and relatives nobody's watching BBC Prime at all (unless I force them to watch Top Gear - without subtitles :) ).

Exactly my feeling. Having the Polish subtitles is a complete waste of time and money.

I heard that BBC Prime is to be replaced by another BBC channel later this year. It'll be called BBC entertainment. It looks almost exactly the same.

BBC Entertainment

You'll need to pretend to be in Singapore or some such place to see the programme details.

Can't be any worse than BBC Prime, can it?

Lots and lots of repeats on this channel!