Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tracing Polish Ancestors

Tracing Polish Ancestors

How do you start tracing Polish ancestry. Are there records offices which hold records from way back?

My ancestors came from the area around Lublin almost 100 years back.

Do records go back further in Poland?

Re: Tracing Polish Ancestors

"Are there records offices which hold records from way back?"

Many people in Poland start their "ancestry search" with reviewing parish books (ksiegi parafialne), especially when so much time went by. In this case the most important thing is to locate the village from which you ancestors came. If the parish books were not destroyed during the WWII, you should be successful.

Are Polish records for the Lublin area online or would the research need to be done in Poland.

I too am trying to trace family ancestor's back to Poland. My father in law was born in Lubraniec in 1925. He migrated to Australia after the war. He has now passed away and my husband and I are really interested in his family history. Let me know if you have any luck. I will also et you know if i have a break through. Happy hunting and Good Luck.

"Are Polish records for the Lublin area online"

It's not available on-line I'm afraid.

But I'm not very knowledgeable about 'ancestry search'. I have never done it before. If you are really interested in tracing your ancestors I think you should ask for help, for example, the Polish American Association (PAA) (Chicago, telephone: 773-282-8206; fax: 773-282-1324; link to PAA website ). Ring them up and tell them what you are going to do. They will provide you with all necessary information or will refer you to another organization to get the 'know-how'.

We are looking for some history on our family name. My husband's father Jerzy Bytom left the Katowice area during WWII and emigrated to England. We have no records or history of him - can anyone help us find out more?

I am looking for my grandfather's birthplace. It was listed on USA Declaraton of Intention to be Citizen as Moszezenica, Ausrian Poland. another document (Alien registration form) Listed it as: Moszezenia (Province - Gorice) Austro-Poland.

Where is this now?

How about Moszczenica. There are 20 of them in Poland.

Gorice=(probably)Gorlice

A good source for records is the LDS files. The mormans have copied many of the old church/civil documents and have them in Salt Lake City. You can order the fishe and view them at a LDS site in you city. Cost is about $3bucks to rent a film.

My father remarried and his new wife insists that our last name Luhnow is Polish, not German like his father’s family has thought for so many years.

Is there a city in Poland named after Luhnow like she insists and if so, what is the population?

There are no Polish cities that start with the characters 'Lu"

Hi Brenda,

It's very difficult to guess what was the original name of the place - there are numerous towns and cities starting with "Lu" i.e. Lublin!!! quite an important city. As for your "Luhnow" how about Łoniów? Its in woj. świętokrzyskie.
http://www.loniow.pl/

On the other hand it could easily be German surname Lunow derived from Ukrainian Łunow (pronounced more or less like Woonov) Many Ukrainians for example from Lvov could feel Polish and emigrate or be forced to work in Germany during the WW2 or just after it.

I am not sure of the towns, but my family is from Poland and I would like to learn all that I can about my family history. Any suggestions?

It really helps to know the area of Poland they came from and the approx time they immigrated. I was lucky enough to find obits that had some info.

I'm trying to help a friend start tracing his Father's family. Info is very sketchy and we're not even too sure if the town he lived in as a child, which we think may have disappeared entirely due to war etc, was called Polywc or Poliwci was in Ukraine or Poland, what with the movement of borders 60-80 years ago. This town, if indeed it was or is one, may have been in an area called Chertkiw or Czortkiw. Finding the town the family lived in would be really helpful.

Has anyone ever heard of these places, if indeed they are or were places?

Czortkow has an interesting history as a “frontier” town for much of its history. In the interwar period the Polish border garrison quartered families in Czortkow.

“Polowce - The village had 456 inhabitable buildings and 2169 inhabitants. Majority of inhabitants were Russin (Ukrainian), Poles numbered 600 and there were 20 Jews.”

http://www.kresy.co.uk/czortkow.html

These towns are now in the Ukraine.

Thank you very much, that's really helpful.

If you will go to a site called Polish Surnames, it will give you several places to write to for information. It will also give you the polish translation for writing the local parishes etc.. as well as customs for requesting this info. I found it very helpful.

My grandfather's death certificate lists Zahowo, Poland as his birth place.
Does this town still exist?
Could its name/spelling have been changed?

Donna Shanske (Skolasinski)

dsmo1@cox.net

Have you a copy of the certificate?

If so transcribe some more. Also, what is the date?

The below is a message from 'Becky'. Can any members offer her any advise?

I do not know if you will be able to help me or not, but
according to my Great-Grandfathers (Antoni Swendrowski) immigration papers
he is from what was the Russian part of Poland, a city called
Kladimirowo, could you please tell me what the name of that city would be today
or where I can find more information on that name

Email: bec62481@yahoo.com

Another similar message. this time from Charline Glowitz at cglow@fan.net

My father was born in Warsaw, Poland in 1903 (and died in
1972). I'm not sure how he spelled his surname. It is something like
Glowiczova. Is there a way to find out how it is spelled and if there are
any records on him? Thank you.

And another question:

what kind of last name is Placzek, and what does it mean of
where did it come from?

email: tempjsp1@comcast.net

Płaczek

Currently płaczek survives as a regional idiom in Silesia for a young child or baby as a diminutive form of “płacz”; to cry.

It is doubtful, however, that one would take one’s family moniker from such a trait. More ancient is the Old Silesian dialect wherein płaczek was a small spring where water does not so much flow or stream from the ground but rather “weeps”. Common Slavic derivatives of płaczek are found in Czech and Lusatian.

As a surname it is somewhat comparable to the English name “Wells”.

I am looking for information on my ancestry, My great grandfather was Marczin (Martin) Borowicz and I believe he was born in Germany but live in the region of Poznan he was born in 1848.
My great Grandmother 1853 - 56 in Poland as Agnieszka (Agnus) Nika they were Married in ? Gora Luc, Poznan Poland, I think ? My GrandFather was Steve Borowicz was born in 1893 and My grandmother was born 1896 Maryann Chwialkowski.
Father: Peter Chwialkowskyi b: 1869 in Poland
Mother: Rozalia Budziszewski b: Sept. 13, 1873 in Poland

I there any help that someone can help me with.

Stan Borowicz

My father Wojciech Wojciechowski lived with his father major hipolit wojciechowski (major of KOP) in Czortkow and I am trying to find out the address they lived at in Czortkow. I would like to know how I can find this out and if records still exist.