Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Historical re-creations in Poland

The photo works fine for me .

Which browser are you using, Lilka? The picture URL has spaces in it, which some browsers don't like!

Internet Explorer?
Maby you could change it into ".jpg"? If it's not a problem for you...

Hmm, should be OK on any IE above v4.0. It's already a .jpg, but the full URL is...

http://www.sealedknot.org/BigGallery/2005%20Public%20Gallery/Roundway%20down/Steve%20Dury/web_IMG_6515.jpg

... where the '%20' stands for spaces. I can't change that, as it's not my website! You could check it out, along with a lot of other information, at The Sealed Knot Website

Thanks! Now I've got a clue. I have to ask one of my friends who once took a part in a battle like that in England.
Do you do any fencing?

Not fencing in the classic sense of using foil, epee or rapier, but we do have sword-fights on the field.

The average English footsoldier of the Civil War period was issued with a medium-length blade known as a 'hanger' along with his musket, so some sword play did take place, just more the hack, slash and chop type rather than precision fencing, You can see the hilt of the hangar in the picture below, on the hip of the dragoone with the beard... hope you can see this one, the URL doesn't have any spaces this time!

Just an observation but the second pic posted of the "knight" He has smiley face suns on his suit. Not very menacing. So the last thing you would see as he plunges a sword into you is a happy sun.

The smiling sun is one of the heraldic signs of Polish nobility. It was and is still used as a sign of Podole the "county" represented also in the re-enactment of the battle of Grunwald. (1410 - the great victory of Polish and Lithuanian forces over Teutonic Knights).
By the way English and French roses and lilies are "sweet" too

Did you know that Teutonic Knights would organize "trips" for European knights convinced that Lithuanians are pagans. The aim was a "saffari" giving their guests an opportunity to chase last remaining pagans in Europe (which was not really the truth at that time any more). You can read about such a crusade in the very beginning of Chamcer's 'Knight's Tale'.
I'm afraid some wester knight's could be the victims of this misunderstanding and meet a 'smiling sun' during the battle.

CHAUCER'S

Can you recomend any books on that part of Polish history? Ive read some books on Central Europe that breifly cover it but nothing in depth.

I only know some Polish authors like Jasienica or Bratkowski... and Davis of course . There exist a very nice and short history of Poland prepared by Żaryn marriage. It was prepared for Polish high school students who live abroad... but these are just basics...
I'll ask my knight and maby learn some more...

By the way Lilka, is that you in the pic with the 'sunshine' knight?

I'm afraid not. I only wanted to show you smn. good looking...

Ah, OK, I'll avoid any jug-related comments, then!

Jug related comments are very much welcomed here.

PK,
My Misterious Lord produced just one more word that I may add to the list of historians that I mentioned above
MANTEUFEL said he (and as I understand this is the surname of a writer

MikeK, this here also is not my humble backside:

Lilka see now you are glad you didn't get this locked.
Hang in there more will come along soon.

I misunderstood before, I wasn't trying to stupid when I mentioned Vikings. In Sopot there really are a group of Vikings that dress up and fight. Fantastic to watch but really aggressive. One guy got badly hurt, and had a stitched eye. Little to realistic for me, but my 5 year old daughter thought it was great when he got hurt.
There seem to be a lot of shops in Poland selling weapons and armour, must be popular.

Ah, so re-enactment in Poland also includes a spanking fetish, does it?

Splendid!

Actually the man was putting seals on some papers. There were some more people in the tent. The girl was extremely boring trying to attract the attention of men. She keept suggesting that one of the young guys should put "make her a tatoo". The man on the photo decided to stop her by doing what she wanted... That's all.

Lilka,
thanks for the info. I'm not sure if i can get some of those authors in English

That's a shame, I was just about to ask where I could sing up...

*sigh*

PK - Your welcome/my pleasure I'm almost sure Jan żaryn's book is in English because it was designed for Polonia not necessarily speaking Polish.

As for the Vikings. This is exactly what I meant talking about some people's immature attitude. They should be well prepared and give a fierce PERFORMANCE not kill each other in front of little kids.
My has got a nice long scar across his back. Made with an axe. But he does't play like that any more... at least he sais so.

"As for the Vikings. This is exactly what I meant talking about some people's immature attitude. They should be well prepared and give a fierce PERFORMANCE not kill each other in front of little kids".

I guess it is kinda like people going to a nascar race most of them want to see an accident.

I should say "crash" not accident.

At lest there should be a difference between seeing an accident and having it for fun! I know quite a number of older teen-age boys who think that the bigger the damage in their health is the better warriors they are - quite 'amusing'.