Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Prosze & Prosie

The F sound. The surname is like Smith in English. Connected with blacksmithing.

Hi Viosnah,

Forgive me if I am wrong but I believe the "sz" sound in "prosze" is a harder sound than the English "sh" found in "she".

If it were that easy I wouldn't have a problem.

yes, you're right. "sz" is harder than "sh". But "sh" is harder than "si/ś". I think "sh" is closer to "sz" than to "si/ś".

I have made the terrible mistake of asking my mother-in-law to pass the suger. The literal translation of my failed polish was "pass the bitch please".

Yes, "sh" is very good for "sz", go*tch*a for "cz" and so on.

The palatalized ones are worse, but hey - ś, ć, ź, dź, Japanese has them all:)
Not as soft as in Polish, but pretty close. Anyway,

*chi*kara (strength)

is much closer to ć/ci than English *ch*eck. So if you watch samurai films, just listen to all those "yoshida", "Musashi", "Takeshi", "kenjutsu"...

BTW I can pronounce both 'th' correctly:>

Caspar - I asked my future mother-in-law for a bonk, when all I wanted was the pepper.
Fortunately, she gave me what I wanted!

Varsovian,

But did she ever give you the pepper ??

I once tried to explain that I'm a northener and ended up saying that I'm half a chamberpot.

Logically northerner should be połnocnik. But isn't

In my opinion "sz" sounds like "sh" in english. For example "wash", "Shannon". Try this.

Hi Kasia,

This is why I'm getting confused. I have been told by other Poles "sz" does NOT sound like an English "sh".

When I try to say "prosze" it sounds like "proshe" and I am told this is wrong.

Try slurring like an alcoholic ," grzsh"

"for me it is very hard to pronounce 'th' sound.
I pronounce it like:
d for "the", "that" etc.
f for "theory", "thick" etc."

lots of English people also talk like this...

To pronounce the "th" the trick is to lightly place your tongue between your teeth as you say it. That's how we were taught at school to stop saying "fink" instead of "think"

Maybe somebody has a recording of the two different sounds (or the word proszę) or can make one?

" ... "sz" is harder than "sh". But "sh" is harder than "si/ś". I think "sh" is closer to "sz" than to "si/ś"..."

100% agree!