Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What's the point of having kids?

Please tell me.
I mean, why does Mark want to make babies with Leah?
Why babies?

Re: What's the point of having kids?

actually, it's the act of tying that interests me....

Free labor

It's like nirvana - you stop thinking too much of "what is the sense of life" and just keep feeding, changing nappies, putting to sleep, feeding, changing nappies, putting to sleep, feeding, changing nappies...

Oh my goodness....

the free labour one is gd, n sadly/or not in loadsa cases true

And children are your investment for the future. Bring them up with respect and you will have someone to help take care of you when you're elderly.

Indeed! The best planned insurance in the world, a child who loves ya, will do everything human possible to help you

unless you screw up n the kid starts hatin u, but that doesnt hapen if u care bout it in the first place

My 17 year-old neighbour is having a baby
With her it seemed to be the trying that was of interest.
The 17 year-old father says it isn't his.
Have I heard that story before somewhere?

17 is not so bad. I heard that in Holland and the UK some children have babies at age of 11 or 12!

I heard an interesting theory recently re teen preganancy in the UK.

Apparently girls and boys are entering puberty earlier because children are getting heavier (fat!) and as hormones are programmed to kick in partly when Children reach a certain weight (I think with girls it may be about 7 stones), girls are becoming fertile earlier (because they are menstruating earlier). Add that to the British obbsession with sex and our dangerous reserve when it comes to be frank about sex and you have an explosive combination wouldn't you say?

Don't know how much truth there is in it but I thought it was an interesting theory...

That sounds very freaky, gd that continental europe doesnt face that sorta thing

Why do you britts have 2 measure weight in stone? thats soo confusin, lets keep to the international kg, rather than the national stone

I heard that there is a tendency in Britain for teenagers to leave their parent's houses when they finish certain level of education (being about 16). Some go to study in another city, even if they have universities "at home" some who are less gifted or have no money to study feel the need af living on their own anyway. The social care is so good for the poor girls that they are GIVEN flats by the state when they become young, lonely, uneducated and unskilled mothers...

Sorry! We are taught metric, but for some reason we all seem to still work in stones. KG means nothing to me other than the weight of a bag of sugar...

The government have recognised childhood obesity as a big problem. Just this week all junk food banned in school dinners as a result of healthy eating campaign. It is changing, but food science and attitudes at home need to change (esp among the working classes where the problem is the worst), and hopefully over the next 5-10 years we will see big improvements.

"I heard that there is a tendency in Britain for teenagers to leave their parent's houses when they finish certain level of education (being about 16). Some go to study in another city, even if they have universities "at home" some who are less gifted or have no money to study feel the need af living on their own anyway. The social care is so good for the poor girls that they are GIVEN flats by the state when they become young, lonely, uneducated and unskilled mothers... "

I don't think so, if anything house prices are keeping kids at home till later in life. Uni doesn't begin for UK young person until 18 at youngest (I was 21). Going away to study is common as we compete for places at the best universities we are eligible for. It is unlikely that for many the local uni is good enough standard or offers the course they want.

Mothers without homes do get priority over people without dependants in terms of household waiting lists, but I don't think the majority get pregnant in order to secure a house, lots of these girls have little family support, and very little education/low self esteem. We have quite a large, poorly educated underclass in the Uk whom see a child as something that will love them unconditionally, and other than motherhood/ marriage assume they have little else going for them. This is how it is in my home town, where at 25 I am unusal in that I have not had a child (average age for marriage in UK is 26 so that should tell you something). It's more complex a problem than people think...

When we were getting married I was 23 and my man was 21...

What's the point of having kids?

Easy My oldest is the most important thing in my life. I look forward to her waking up in the morning.
She gives me pleasure,laughs. We play together.

Kids are fantastic! OK not for everyone, but given the choice between a baby and a Land Rover Sport.(sorry Klause).
The Baby wins hands down. They are priceless.

When we were getting married I was 23 and my man was 21...

Dont worry, Poles get married earlier than Brits, I'm sure it is very normal in Poland, but for me as a Briton, it seems so young to be settling down into lifetime commitment. I know Pawel at 27, gets a lot of pressure to marry, many of his friends being married off at 25 or younger. I used an example of my town, where the socio-economic problems are pretty bad to illustrate why uneducated young women have children. Notice I said had children, but I didn't say they were married....many had their first before age 20.