Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Corpus Christi processions

Did anyone see any of the hundreds of Corpus Christi processions going on around Poland yesterday?

Re: Corpus Christi processions

Yes. They are Iovely! A fine tradition. I wish they'd pause for a while to let trams & buses through though. Even nicer are the Easter processions, especially if Easter is late and therefore warmer.

What happens at a Corpus Christi procession?

I know what the Latin means, but that's about it!

The Feast of Corpus Christi Body of Christ was originally observed on the Thursday after Trinity Sunday. About 1970, it was changed to the Sunday after Trinity Sunday in the United States and most of the world. So, here in 2006, Corpus Christi is this Sunday, June 18th.

In smaller places in Poland, virtually the whole village or town leaves the church at midday and walks around the streets together stopping on route at various temporary shrines to pray, etc. The shrines are decorated with branches from Birch trees. People tear off twigs from these shrines for luck and happiness as they go around the circuit. Young girls dressed in what look like wedding dresses scatter rose and flower petals on the streets. The Priest walks around under some sort of umbrella held up by four strong men, while boys swirl burning incense around him. Traffic stops. Householders decorate their windows with religious icons. An interesting spectacle for a non-Catholic .

Since i'm not a Catholic I have no idea what the festival represents. Maybe somebody could tell us more?

I took some photos of one such event yesterday and will put them online this evening.

The name Corpus Christi comes from the fact that we (catholics) celebrate the miracle of the embodiment of Christ as Bread distributed during the Holy Communion. In other words we celebrate that Christ is actually phisically among us thanks to this miracle.
On this day Christ walks the streets of towns and cities surrounded by people. Girls aged about 8 and dressed white (looking as brides because in most of cases this is what a girl wears during her First Communion) prepare the way for Him casting flower petals on the street.
We still celebrate it on thursdays

''In other words we celebrate that Christ is actually phisically among us thanks to this miracle.''

u dont actually believe that, do u?

I saw the end of one of these processions yesterday from a trafic jam caused by the endless old women

I love the whole bread and wine becoming the body of christ buisness, hilarious. Would we be so endeared of traditional religious festivals, if we had druids and pagans celebrating around us....I think not.
(no offense to the pagans, they are equally silly as the christians.) I@m going to leave this thread because the anything to do with religion makes me angry...

Thats y im protestant, i dont believe in eatin up christ once every week, i mean wtf???

no offense to the pagans

Non taken.

Thanks for all the info, everyone, it's really interesting stuff!

tylko robić nie ma komu

i dont believe in eatin up christ once every week, i mean wtf???

Never have I seen Martin Luther's arguments encapsulated in so perfect and succinct a form.

I attended procession yesterday and I liked it!! I do it every year. I think it is one of these things which in Poland are great and unusual .

I can understand Casper, the 'not always so friendly ghost' poster. I think he eats Cranky Flakes for breakfast.

I think the corpus christi celebration sounds beautiful (lol. I thought this post was about a town in Texas)

ah hem. Catholicism is about symbology. They aren't actually eating Christ.

There are those that are extreme, but the average religious person is a good person. They want to help other people and do the right thing.

WTF?? Why are people so close minded as to not respect other peoples' customs/values/traditions and lives.

They aren't actually eating Christ.

No, it's really the real thing, according to the Doctrine of Transubstantiation.

In 1551 the Council of Trent officially defined that "by the consecration of the bread and wine there takes place a change of the whole substance of the bread into the substance of the body of Christ our Lord and of the whole substance of the wine into the substance of his blood. This change the holy Catholic Church has fittingly and properly called transubstantiation"

yeah, it's hard to understand it but the thing is not about understanding but believing

"They aren't actually eating Christ."

Let's put oit this way. This is Christ but what we do is sth. different than "eating" it.

sth.

What is 'sth'?

Ooops, sorry, ignore that. Something!

Bldy txtspk gts evrywr.

I just made exactly the same point in the chat room thread

fkng h8 it!

Communion - unification? I'm not wise enough to explain it. When you're a catholic child you learn that "Christ enters your heart" if the heart is prepared that is open for love. It's not my businnes how He does it but God's.

As promised:

Corpus Christi in Poland
Pictures ...

Beautiful pictures. Thank you Simon.

Mike~ the transubstantiation information that you posted merely reinforces the SYMBOLISM. Catholicism doesn't encourage flesh eating.

I am not Catholic, so a true one will have to correct me if I screw this up.

Jesus made bread and wine at the Last Supper. POOF! It was a miracle. Jesus even told the disciples at the supper, "body of christ".

As tempting as it may have been, Jesus was not telling people, "Eat me!". It has something to do with never being hungry.

"God, grant me the serenity, to accept the fact that some people are Dumbass' "

The key to the 'Body of Christ' is that at the Last Supper Jesus consecrated bread and wine and said to them to take it as a symbol of his body and blood and of the great sacrifice he would offer the world.

As for believing or not, it's a matter of personal belief.

People believe in many crazier things.
[EG: That the US actually has a separation of Church and State - *laughs uproariously*]

That's it Khrystene!

Yeah people actually believe there is a GOD, ahahahahahahahahahahahaha how fucking stupid can you be ahahahahahahahahahahaha a GOD...heaven, hell, ahahahahahahahaah Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh it makes me mental. Have people never thought of logic, using their own brain. I'm losing it now.

Mike~ the transubstantiation information that you posted merely reinforces the SYMBOLISM. Catholicism doesn't encourage flesh eating

I know that, but the Council of Trent was quite clear about it: the Host is LITERALLY the Body of Christ.

And in the old days, anyone who disagreed with that view was quite welcome to discuss it in free and open debate, tied to the next available stake.

Yeah people actually believe there is a GOD

Not only that, SOME of us beleive there are LOTS of them.

And Goddesses, too. The latter are more important, of course.

the Host is LITERALLY the Body of Christ.

This was confirmed by Pope Paul VI as late as 1965.

Basically he said that:

1) Christ's body and blood are really present

2) bread and wine are really absent

...and this presence and absence is real and not merely something in the mind of the believer.

MikeK, I like your style, are you the Pagan brother?
Er...I'm a little less down on the Pagan peoples, because at least your "religion" is focussed on nature, not humans...am I wrong?

Khrystene is right people believe in many crazy things. To make it clear I am one of those people.

when "man" had less understanding of the world gods were created to explain the unniverse now "man" has greater understanding and only a single "God" is needed....someday will there be no God?

Lest we forget, President (I'm a fucking nutter) Bush, beleives he has consulted God regarding invading Iraq. Seriously imagine the conversation in his head.

Bush: dear Lord, give me guidance should I invade Iraq?

Bush's God: Yes my son it is a Holy duty to take out the mass murder Saddam.. Do so by carpet bombing Bagdad.

Bush: Thank you Lord for agreeinf with me.

Bush's God: Thats okay, and my tip is the Yankees will win the season.

Don't Pagans have a higher power of some sort?

I'm a little less down on the Pagan peoples, because at least your "religion" is focussed on nature, not humans...am I wrong?

It IS nature-focussed in a lot of ways, but it also considers humans and their relationship with the world. Humans are part of nature after all, much as some might try to deny it. It is also more female-oriented than most world religions: we have both Priests and Priestesses, and it is the Priestesses who are senior.

The word 'Priestess' is a VERY difficult one for Patriarchal religions such as Christianity. When the Church of England started to consecrate women as Ministers, it fell over itself to avoid that word...

Don't Pagans have a higher power of some sort?

Most do.

It is possible to consider the various Goddesses and Gods as faces that the Divine puts on to make Itself comprehensible to humans.

Do Pagans encourage treating other people with respect?

I understand the respecting nature aspect. I just see a lot of parallels. Christians see miracles (God) in nature, therefore it is to be revered.

Christian, Jewish, Pagan, etc. Everything I have come across seems to focus on doing the right thing. I see no problem with that!

MikeK~After you read Khrystene's post you still insist they are cannibuls! I am done with you. It is like having a battle of wits with an unarmed bandit

It is like having a battle of wits with an unarmed bandit

LOL, well how rude!

I KNOW they don't really eat human flesh, I was just quoting official Catholic doctrine and what Catholic friends have told me they believe, that's all.

Nice procession photos. Is there something similar in Poland during August or September?

MikeK~ Could it be a cultural thing? The Catholics I know didn't take it literally. I love Jesus, but that is asking a bit much!

OR perhaps they heard something and misinterpreted. I recently learned an old friend told a group of people, "The church is like God's wife and you should give it a lot of money". It was later discovered that she was having an extramarital affair for a year. She was probably tying to buy God's forgiveness because she broke a commandment. lol. I think she may have misinterpreted a sermon?? By nurturing the poor, the church is like a wife? Some people.