Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: FRIENDLY FACE IN GDANSK

''I WOULD LOVE A FRIENDLY FACE TO SHOW ME THE BEAUTIFUL PARTS OF POLAND THAT I HAVENT DISCOVERED YET. ''

Do you mean how a polish bedroom looks like from a very close view with a 'young lady' showing u how to use it?

Go to Thailand if thats the sort of thing u want, it aint on here

Well actually, even in Thailand u need clever approaching charm, n not that

Unless you got the green paper, then anythin works

Dajwid

Dajwid,
Thanks for the reply, Fair comment... I have a few friends in Gdansk and the majority are blokes who just want to drink, smoke and go clubbing... not really my cup of tea.
The school that I got in contact with is Gordon&Gordon, like I mentioned before I dont speak any Polish and when I have tried going out to meet people in bars or clubs I feel really intimidated by alot of the blokes. I dont know if its because Im paranoid but it always feel like there is alot of aggression. By the way Im Oriental looking, Im 26 and Im fed up of London and just want to experience something different.
I just feel more comfortable with women than some of the guys Ive met but if you can forward me any good advice it would be much appreciated. It sounds you alot of experience within this area, this is all newe to me.
Sorry if the message sounded corny, I just want to meet some young people who I can be friends with.
Thanks.

Mark

Mark,
I hope you got my email but if you havent I just wanted you to know that Im Oriental myself so I would never want to got to Thailand to see women, its degrading. Im from London but my family is from the Philippines.
I just want to do something different, I want to travel and experience different things. If you can advise me about Poland or introduce me to any males or females who can help me; it would be much appreciated.
Thanks

good luck with the teaching, the school is fairly new in the area only a couple of years, they had very dodgy advertising in the past. The best school in the tricity . Don't know what they are like to work for. If they are paying less than 60pln in hand per 45 min lesson and you are a qualified ESL teacher walk away. Make sure they are paying your Zus and tax and you have a full time 'work' contract.
There is plenty of work about for teachers with qualifications.
If you are looking for friendly faces go to the language pub in Sopot full of Brits in all shapes and sizes.

Dajwid

Dajwid,
Thanks for the response, Ive been to the language pub in Sopot. I met a few people in the bar but no people involved with teaching English, actually that is a really cool bar even though its kinda small. I went to that bar because I was looking for a pint of Guinness!!! Anyway thanks for the advice, which other schools in Gdansk do you recommend I approach? So far no one really knows that much about Gordon&Gordon. I need to find out more befor I make a commitment. Thanks for your help. Eddie

What's the big problem with wanting a nice looking Polish girl to show you around the city. If I was given the choice I take a Polish girl over a Polish bloke any day!

Hi Eddie,
I can nearly see the G&G office from my window at work :) Don't really know a d*mn thing about it because I'm not an English teacher. However, I might know someone who knows someone ... let's see how far this chain can get (it being summer and half of us either on holiday or dead with the heat)

c
elderly irish mother of 2

hi Claire

Hello Claire,
Thankyou for the reply.
How long have you been in Poland? You are the first Irish person I know in Poland!! You have to tell me all the decent places to get a pint of Guinness!!! I went to Scruffy Murphys but they no longer do Guinness!!??!! I found another bar where the staff wore kilts? It had a Scotish theme but the Guinness didnt taste that good. It wasnt too far from the Language bar, I think it was behind Phoneix restaurant, near the Church.
I really appreciate the email, where in Ireland are you from? Ive done alot of travelling and Ive been all around Northern Ireland, Donegal is beautiful!!
Whatever information you can find for me will be brilliant, Im planning to come over in a few weeks time for a few days, hows the weather at the moment?
TAKE CARE Claire, Eddie

Ed from Dublin

Ed,
Thanks for the support.
Eddie

Eddie, what on earth is taking you to Gdansk? I can
think of other places I'd rather go if I were footloose and fancy free.

And the person whom I thought knew someone who knew someone who ... etc etc ... denies everything. bah.

/c

To Claire

Hi Claire,
The reason why Id like to teach in Gdansk is because I really like Poland. I wouldnt want to work in Krakov or any of the other larger cities because its too over crowded, Im not too keen on loads of night clubs, I prefer the country side and I love the fact that the beach is so near. I want to leave London and get away from the busy life.
I have never worked in the teaching profession, I worked in the hospitality sector for 7 years, managing pubs and bars. I worked in London for various companies but Im bored of it now. I feel its time for a new challenge, if you know of anything that might be appropriate for me; even if its in the hospitality sector Im willing to have a look and give it a try.... Thanks again

Hi Eddie,
I've sent you an email.
/cj

"If they are paying less than 60pln in hand per 45 min lesson and you are a qualified ESL teacher walk away. Make sure they are paying your Zus and tax and you have a full time 'work' contract."

Dajwid, exactly which planet are you from?

"Re: FRIENDLY FACE IN GDANSK

"If they are paying less than 60pln in hand per 45 min lesson and you are a qualified ESL teacher walk away. Make sure they are paying your Zus and tax and you have a full time 'work' contract."

Dajwid, exactly which planet are you from? "

Quite. Many teachers with not only CELTA but also DELTA and solid experience, and in Warsaw, not bloody Gdańsk don't get anything like that.

Cezarek

Cezarek,
I have no idea what wage I should expect but it sounds that you do. I have just completed an ESL course and I was told that despite my lack of experience it wouldnt be too hard to find work. If you know of any other schools that I can approach please forward their details, Thanks mate.

er...doesn't dawjid like er own a few language schools. Should this be the case mabye he might well know the going rate. just a thought not trying to be difficult.

I pay 75 in hand after tax!! Bell pay the lowest in the area, that is why most of the natives have just changed schools. Most schools pay natives about 60-70. A couple of schools I know of in the area pay 85.

Cezarek sorry if you are getting less but from your name looks like you not a native speaker. Don't asume Warsaw school wages are higher than the tricity, a couple of my teachers have moved from Warsaw to this area for a better wage.

Many teachers in the area are taking home 6000 a month. I would't work for less, jesus christ I would get that on the dole in the UK, so why bother working here for less?

Dajwid, not that I want to spoil your fantasy, but Cezarek has two language schools. Very good ones. I work in one of them. He knows what he's talking about. After a quick 'straw poll' here in the office we decided, among a dozen teachers with many years combined experience in Poland, that the going rate here in Warsaw for a tefl qualified teacher with experience in a good language school is between 40 and 60zl per 45 mins BEFORE tax. Only the British Council pay more, and they've just fired a lot of people because they can't break even. In more downmarket schools the wages start at 10zl. And no school here pays zus. The price that a quality in-company client pays wouldn't cover the salaries you laughingly mention. Maybe Gdansk has a different economy to the rest of Poland, or maybe your school is some sort of teachers' co-operative or earthly paradise. Either way, let us know what its called. Every teacher in Poland will beat a path to your door.

I'm not disagreeing.

Allegedly there's a school near Warsaw that pays 63 gross per 45 minutes, but that's just a rumour.

An offer from a language school offering in-company lessons landed on my desk the other day. Their price was 50zl per 45 min unit. Wonder if their teachers get 75zl in hand.

Hmmm I'll be interested to see how this debate is concluded.

I've often wondered what the "going rate" is for English teachers in Poland.

There must be some misunderstanding in this thread somewhere. Can it really be true that "most schools pay 60-70" PLN for 45 mins ?? Wow !

P.S. Dajwid, what kind of dole are you referring to ? Benefit in the UK is £ 57.00 per week. Maybe you are including other benefits ?

P.P.S Have any of you English teachers considered teaching English via Skype ?

Hi only quoting what I pay and friends pay. As for dole remember I have 2 kiddies, 57 a week family allowance is 25ish on its own.

I'm not trying to start a I'm right you are wrong war.
I would of thought that warsaw wages were higher but obviously not. My tip for teachers is work for schools owned by Non Poles then you get a proper wage. I pay well, as I think:- Pay peanuts and you get monkeys.

I agree that schools owned by non Poles tend to pay more. I think one reason why Warsaw wages are as they are is the glut of schools and typical capital city oversupply of foreigners. Both of these have an effect. Berlin is a bit like that, Paris too.

Her in Wwa the big recruiters like Worldwide School pay a flat salary of 2800zl per month for 'green' teachers. Some pay more for people ith experience. I'm surprised at the rate in Gdansk, and am interested in the economics of this.

what part of london are u from Eddie?

Hello Someone

Im from Central London, Im staying in Shepherdsbush. Are you the 'someone' who might be able to help me with finding a suitable teaching job in Gdansk?

no unfortunately not eddie, just a fellow londoner
whos interested in Poland

dont know why the smiley face ended up in the middle of the sentence there btw

Is it the face you want, or a body to sleep next to?

eddie mail me your CV I will pass it to a few decent schools in the area.

dajwid@hotmail.com