Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Names day

Things may be changing gradually in favour of birthdays rather than names days. I could be wrong. But names days are still very popular, especially among the older generation.

For a lady, it doesn't draw attention to age.

Yes names day is alive and kicking around the globe with flowers and cards being the order of the day. It's a bit unfair if you are not named after a saint.

My names day, is also, my birthday. It is Sept. 29th. so you all have time to shop for my gifts. When you need my address where to send them, let me know.

Mike

When is the name day for a Bogdan, whose birthday is in August? Also, what abouht people with names from the Old Testament, like Dajwid for example?

in Wikipedia they say Bogdan's nameday in August is on the 10th and the 31st. Calendars differ - not all of them give all the possible options of namedays. For examplr in mine there are no Bogdans in August.
Namedays are not only a matter of church but even more so of tradition so no problem - if there is a name it will surely has its day.

Almost forgotten custom is to give a child the name "of the day" it was born. As in Michael's case. Another tradition (more vivid) is that you celebrate your nameday when the first occasion after birthday appears. If Bogdan were born on in July his nameday would be on the 10th of August but if his birthday was on say August 11th the nameday would be on the 31st.

Are you all out shopping for my gifts, I hope so, since I will get yours, when you tell me the date, and where to send them.

Mike