Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Fidel just about gone (about time)

I think many people in Europe admire Castro for standing up to the USA and for the things he has done in terms of health care and employment for the people of Cuba.

From what I saw of Cuba I can say it has done very well, most Cubans are very proud of what they have achieved and are taking colossal steps forward into the future....Compared to the Dominican Republic they are flying better all by them selves and must be allowed to continue to do it their way.

They have my deep respect

most Cubans are very proud of what they have achieved and are taking colossal steps forward into the future...

while building boats out of cars and trucks to vacation in Florida....for the rest of their lives :)

Got picked up and sent back.......
If they made it to britian they'd be sent back too...
Great engineers we don't need, we seem to prefer those who would drain the social system untill dry..

But just the same Cuba has done well without the dubious umberella of the us dollar......

"most Cubans are very proud of what they have achieved and are taking colossal steps forward into the future"

I live in Florida and have watched these poor souls risk their lives to escape Castro and get across the Florida Keys Strait with any means possible. That boat-car was amazing, to those who know what Im talking about.

So is it common for Brits, Poles, and other Europeans to visit Cuba?

Cuba’s economy survives only on the charity of sponsors, initially the Soviet Union and now Venezuela. Being subsidized for being the poster child of “resistance” to the United States is hardly a national economic strategy.

How many countries in the 21st century still have radio interference to prevent their citizens from listening to foreign broadcasts? In how many countries is unlicensed computer ownership illegal? Approximately 10% of the population left between 1960 and 1980. 10%! And they still are leaving in droves.

Cuba population: 11,382,820
Dominican Republic population: 9,183,984

Per capita GDP Cuba $3500
Per capita GDP Dominican Republic $7000

Cuba telephones: 768,200
Cuba mobiles: 75,800

Dominican Republic telephones: 936,200
Dominican Republic mobiles: 2,534,100

But for a poor country (and without oil that's what most countries outside Europe and North America will be) they have good health care a high literacy rate and some highly advanced industries (Solar energy and pharmaceuticals If I recall rightly). The Cuban people have probably done as well over the last half century as most comparable countries

Dominican oil production: 0 bbl/day
Dominican oil consumption: 128,000 bbl/day

Cuban oil production: 72,000 bbl/day
Cuban oil consumption: 205,000 bbl/day

And yet the Dominican's per capita GDP is double Cuba's.