Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Is there any good Polish music?

Serious question time.

My neighbours are Polish. All they play all day long is hip-hop. Is there any good Polish music?

Re: Is there any good Polish music?

It depends on what you're into. Rock, Metal, Folk?

Anything really, except hip-hop .

I'm a fan of the old school of Polish pop music (80s) like Budka Suflera, etc.
It helps if you know Polish, the words are very evocative of the times.

I lived in Poland at a time when things were tough, the political scene was changing etc. This was reflected in the music. Of course there were straightforward love songs as well such as

Kocham Cie kochanie moje
Kocham Cie kochanie moje..

but the ones that I find moving are songs such as:

Mialem dziesiec lat...

Jolka, Jolka, pamietasz
lato ze snu..

and my favourite

Przezyj to sam..

Next time I am in Poland I must get a tape or CD. I lost the one I had these songs recorded on.

Anyone know what has happened to these bands?

Try Myslovitz. I like them and I make the entire French-American-Austrian car pool listen to it, so far nobody is complaining.

Are they the band who sound like Blur did in the 1990s?

If so, I agree .

In 1990's I used to listein to "Lord slider" namely B.Dickinson and Co. so I'm not sure who Blur is.:(
...run to the hills, run for your lifeeee...eh these were the times.

Michal Bajor.

No way Doris, his last composition of Christmas songs I bought I ended up throwing out the car window just after 10 minutes - he's a loonie.
Also try "De Mono" - sort of like U2.

"Anyone know what has happened to these bands?"

Budka Suflera - they are still active and very succesful. Krzysztof Cugowski (lead vocal, but not in "Jolka, Jolka") went into politics and became senator for PiS :) . But I believe he's quite disappointed with the course of things.

Perfect - still active and quite succesful, even though the charismatic leader, Zbigniew Holdys, is not with the band anymore. Recorded several quite powerful and moving songs in recent years - try "Niezwyciężony". Still the same wise lyrics by Bogdan Olewicz and the same voice by Grzegorz Markowski (BTW, his daughter became a fairly succesful vocalist, too).

Lombard - they split and went silent many years ago; reappeared a couple of times but without the power of Małgorzata Ostrowska's voice they had no chance. And her solo career is hardly succesful, by the way. Pity. I used to like her a lot.

Let me know which songs are you looking for; possibly we can find them in mp3 format.

Sorry, not "Niezwyciężony".
It's "Niepokonany" :).

"Are they the band who sound like Blur did in the 1990s? "

They're inspired by the Stone Roses, which is fine by me.

Lady Pank had a few good songs too.

"Let me know which songs are you looking for; possibly we can find them in mp3 format. "

Is that strictly legal ?

I'd be very interested in this if it were possible. I hate buying CDs and finding I don't like more than one or two tracks. I'd like to be able to hear some more Polish music.

"Is that strictly legal ?"

It's strictly illegal, Hans, if you are planning to sell or trade the copies :) .
But nobody is going to prosecute me if I copy my own records (bought absolutely legally) and send a couple of songs to a nice British lady for nostalgic reasons. I am not selling anything. I'm lending my property. And I do not believe Pani Ania would re-distribute these MP3 files (especially not to earn money).

Anyway, I still need to know which songs should I look for / encode / send.
And what sort of music are you interested in, Hans?

theres a polish girl whos a singer whats her name dado doda dodo or something? "oooooweeeee" she is fiiiiiiiiit!!!!!!!!! man o man if u see her u would have to be a pedal to not wanna "ahem" with her if u know what i mean, a woman with looks and beuty like her could turn any married man into an adulterer, not me of course . but on a serious note if u see her vid she is what i call a beatiful looking girl MY TYPE FOR SHO. oh btw her song is good as well, i like it anyway, i also like getting on my wifes nerves by playing that agnieszka song that came out about 5 years ago

"Is that strictly legal ?"

Post scriptum: here's a perfectly legal way to get familiar with the sound of Polish music - short samples of songs, found at Polish internet store.
For the beginning, the best (in my opinion) band of Polish rock scene - Perfect. "Miałem dziesięć lat..." recalls Pani Ania. It's "Autobiografia", recorded in early 80's and hailed "the generation's anthem". Listen to this and many other old songs by Perfect at:
http://www.merlin.com.pl/frontend/towar/416482#utwory

It's old. It's only fuzzy mp3 sample. But memories return :) .

CW: yes, it's Doda (Dorota Rabczewska) and her band is called Virgin (what a devilish irony!). Some say she's indeed talented. Some say she's sexy. Some even say she has IQ of 165. But both her image and her language are those of a street hooker. But then again... who cares about hooker's language? :)

My question wasn't serious. It was an attempt at humor. I have no problems with copying music onto MP3 without cost . I like rock music mostly.

I know :) . Might be the emoticon that set me on the right track .

But still I felt obliged to explain my point of view on piracy.

Tell us what you think about early Perfect songs. This should help me to know your musical taste.

I have to go out now, but will investigate your Perfect link later and let you know.

Has anyone else suffered discopolo.

(Lyrics to accompany thumping commercial 1990's trance dance tune).

"She's gotta red dress, red dress, red dress, she's gotta red dress, red dress, red dress, i wanna kiss her, kiss her, kiss her, she's gotta red dress, red dress, red dress, oooooooohhhhhhhhh I wanna......"

you catch my drift, very funny.

The only possible way to dance to this is to be exceptionally drunk on spiritus or wodki.

Polish Jazz Music is some of the best ever. Give it a chance.

ok I am jumping in this one, if you like rock
apparently there is a band upside down?
anyway, seen it online, rock band looking up
some cousins of mine, I hope this is one of my
cousins, he plays lead guitar, Michael Lutrzykowski
if you get the cd, let me know.

that would be awsome to have a cousin rocking his
butt off! yeah!! oh yeah, it also looks like they
are signed with epic records, the master copy is
in miami florida!! that even rocks more!

OK where is everyone getting these dancing smilie's
from?? I want some!! <~found emm !

I could have some real fun
with these!! lol

wait, one more for the road!

Happy Halloween!!muwhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!

"Upside Down" ?
Never heard of them.
But found their promo single in mp3 format (at their official site):
http://www.upsidedown.pl/mp3-ver.php?id=38&idm=4

Well... They are... fast? :)

JB, I cant get it to load, what type of music?
head bangin???

Pretty much. A "californian punk" as they call it themselves :) .
I also read they're pround "not to go under 200 bpm" (which I decipher as "beats per minute").

Wow ,that sounds awsome! I am amazed. dang, wish
my puter was working better.

Patrycja, I'm downloading it now.
If your e-mail acount can handle 2,5 MB file - just let me know your address.

Hi, J.B. thanks very much, I will connect my speakers up and go download it later on if I get a chance. You are a minefield of information, thanks.

Well, if you refer to "Perfect" songs - it's just short free samples to refresh memories; let me know which ones would like to receive in full version (and much better sound I believe).

I like the musical part of Perfect. I'm not convinced by the singer though. Maybe it's the type of group you need to listen to a lot before getting to like.

Our Polish neighbours love a group called Modern Talking.

They might be popular with some in Poland but they were a German not Polish group.