Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: The new fashion in the UK - A PROPERTY IN POLAND

There does seem to be a lot of truth in this. We have recently seen a large increase in translation and interpreting work connected with house buying.

What sort of life can they expect in Poland? Will it all be roses for a British/Irish owner of property in Poland.

---

I think few of these buyers know much about the realities of life in Poland.

Its one thing visiting Poland and other thing living in Poland, the push to sell real estate to Brits living in Poland is just a ploy to dump homes at a inflated price, (some people must be saying "here goes another sucker) Living in Poland has a attraction for people who understand the Polish mentality.

I think the main draw is the price of property in Poland. Property must seem incredibly cheap to anyone in the UK. Newspapers like the Daily Mail often print stories about rising property prices in Eastern Europe and profit to be made. It's hard to discover what the harsh reality of life in Poland is on a short visit.

In terms of value Bulgaria (newest EU member) is now a better investment. Dirt cheap. But Poland had a far better infrastructure (relative to Bulgaria) and is far safer for travel and business in general.

Romania is even cheaper, but 90% of the country is in the 19th century.

The new fashion in the UK - A PROPERTY IN POLAND

Very true!

Although, it's not just unconnected Brits. A number of the offspring of the soldiers who stayed on in England after the war now appear to be looking at Poland either as a full-time relocation or property investment.

I wish them luck, but, unfortunately, the ones I've had any contact with seem to rather unaware of the realities of day-to-day life and running a business in Poland.

Its one thing visiting Poland and other thing living in Poland, the push to sell real estate to Brits living in Poland is just a ploy to dump homes at a inflated price, (some people must be saying "here goes another sucker)

Yep .

Although there are some real bargains still to be had .

The trick is knowing just what and where to buy.

I done think any sane person will move to Poland just because you can buy a cheaper house, what nonsense!
Sure you might get a few simply minded people who make hasty decision in the heat of the moment, a decision which more than likely they will regret.
To live in Poland you need to have a Polish appreciation, a Polish mentality and plenty of patience! At any rate the homes in central Warsaw and Krakow are more expensive to those in London.

I done think any sane person will move to Poland just because you can buy a cheaper house, what nonsense!

--

I know at least one family doing just this. A large house in a village near Poznan. It seems crazy to me also.

I'd say that the fashion is only among those Brits who can't afford to buy a place in France or wherever. Most will buy close to the German border as they will figure, sadly incorrectly, it is somehow safer and less 'wild east' like.

B&B is not the way ahead.

B&B great fun but I can find them no problem for under a fiver a night in most parts of Poland.
Thousands of them speak English.
Brits go to poland to get drunk, find polish women or visit Krakow or Zakopane.

Many have tried the B&B idea but is really is a non starter.

Buy summerhouses and rent them out.

Buy land and build.

Camping sites near the beach somewhere but remember it will be full of drunk kids.

Or rent your house out in the UK to Poles and live in Poland on the profit

Forget B&B forget opening a language school.

English language kindergarten works very well. Try Montessori gets round lots of the hassles involved with polish education office .

But hey, what do I know

"Buy summerhouses and rent them out."

I moved Dajwid's reply from another thread. Please tell us more about this idea, Dajwid. Do you mean at Polish prices or at inflated tourist prices these Brits seem to always want to charge?

Both.
You can pick up summer houses for a good price, not as many limitations on buying them.
Rental on a small summer house goes for about 100-200 Zloty per day. enough to keep it good condition and cover the bills.

Prices are climbing fast, very fast.

5 years ago mine was worth 25,000 now about 100,000

Not bad at all, most of the increase is thanks to the German poles and Swedes.

'I am talking about Kaszuby region'

Invest in affordable apartments in nice areas and/or building land. Always a good bet.

The B&B idea is a non-starter. There are plenty of great places in Poland at Polish prices.

Reasons for this new fashion
- popular tv programmes about relocation
- the mass arrival of Poles. Most people didn't even know where Poland was until two years ago. Poland = Russia?
- reports of cheap properties and money to be made from properties in Poland.
- foolishly thinking that money is to be made from tourism.

Stephs' answer is a good one. Why would anyone want to pay up to ten times the normal rate to stay in an expat household in Poland

I'm sure people would pay more just to spend time with Hans

Maybe so, but, I'm not interested in house guests. Sorry .