Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Tracing Polish Ancestors

Another similar message. this time from Charline Glowitz at cglow@fan.net

My father was born in Warsaw, Poland in 1903 (and died in
1972). I'm not sure how he spelled his surname. It is something like
Glowiczova. Is there a way to find out how it is spelled and if there are
any records on him? Thank you.

And another question:

what kind of last name is Placzek, and what does it mean of
where did it come from?

email: tempjsp1@comcast.net

Płaczek

Currently płaczek survives as a regional idiom in Silesia for a young child or baby as a diminutive form of “płacz”; to cry.

It is doubtful, however, that one would take one’s family moniker from such a trait. More ancient is the Old Silesian dialect wherein płaczek was a small spring where water does not so much flow or stream from the ground but rather “weeps”. Common Slavic derivatives of płaczek are found in Czech and Lusatian.

As a surname it is somewhat comparable to the English name “Wells”.

I am looking for information on my ancestry, My great grandfather was Marczin (Martin) Borowicz and I believe he was born in Germany but live in the region of Poznan he was born in 1848.
My great Grandmother 1853 - 56 in Poland as Agnieszka (Agnus) Nika they were Married in ? Gora Luc, Poznan Poland, I think ? My GrandFather was Steve Borowicz was born in 1893 and My grandmother was born 1896 Maryann Chwialkowski.
Father: Peter Chwialkowskyi b: 1869 in Poland
Mother: Rozalia Budziszewski b: Sept. 13, 1873 in Poland

I there any help that someone can help me with.

Stan Borowicz