Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Problems with foreign surnames in Poland

Worst is when your own mother and father can't say their grandchildren's surname after several years .

I've given up correcting them.

me too
i still can't manage it correctly myself, though ... I fear my sz's are still si's ... or something similarly inadequate

My firat name has a Polish equivalent, with one letter missing. In 7 years, the only person ever to get it right is a retired senior army officer who has travelled a lot.

My surname can be either British or German, and isn't unknown in Poland (a fairly recent ex-premier of Poland has the same name), except it isn't pronounced the same. No Pole has ever pronounced it right, even my ex.

I know some Poles and people of Polish heritage sometimes change the spelling to ensure Brits/Yanks etc get it right, i.e. Kovalsky, Dombrovsky etc, but it's hard ton say which is the lesser of two evils.

My Polish surname is difficult for the majority of Poles who read it. It consists of only three letters. Two out of three provoke a mistake because most of people have already forgotten Polish fonetic rule si=ś and ci=ć.
Tylko lepsi piją pepsi

"Tylko lepsi piją pepsi"

You have to take care with spoonerisms here!