Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Polish ponies exported to Kent

Last year 90,000+ horses left Poland to be slaughtered for meat. Destination: France and Italy.

And so delicious - shame supermarkets n UK/Poland don't stock it. Like best Scotch beef, only better.

yuck

So who would eat venison or rabbit?

To me it's just as disgusting as eating horse but seems ok in the UK.

I'm a bit squeamish about eating little furry bright-eyed bunnies (delicious though they are), but horses are food almost the world over. There are a few butchers here in Poland that sell it.

There used to be a horse-butcher right by the ferry port in Boulogne that did a roaring trade selling horse sausages to Brits.

And of course some of the best kabanos is made from donkey.

I had some excellent, home-made rabbit pate over Easter - but my daughter preferred not to taste it out of deference for her pet (which is still bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, I'm happy to report).

And before you ask, home-made ... by my wife's uncle.
My mother-in-law by the way got her own back on the thieving neighbours by making pate out of one of their chickens. Revenge tasted sweet!

"My mother-in-law by the way got her own back on the thieving neighbours by making pate out of one of their chickens. Revenge tasted sweet! "

Nice one .

To be honest, I can't imagine myself ever eating horse and have never seen the meat for sale in Poland. It's exported. But Poles don't eat it.

Other meat such as lamb and mutton is also rarely eaten in Poland. And almost impossible to buy.

Poles are heavy consumers of pork and chicken.

Our neigbor breeds rabbits. I thought they were for sale as pets, but perhaps they are for meat?

My (English) grandad bred rabbits for meat during the war ... my poor mum only realised later that they weren't being sold as pets.

As for Poles and meat, well - without being Jewish, Muslim or other infidel, pork stinks and is an unhealthy meat prone to helicobacter pylorii infestations (parasite often found in Polish human stomachs) ... thus helping to explain the high rates of stomach cancer here.