Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: School uniforms next term

Don't worry this has been in place for a few years, teachers had to state which books they use and give a full sylibus with official MEN number. many big publishers got on the bandwagon very quick and produced simple free books for teachers to pass on to the headmasters with the number on the front.
Oxford, Cambrige........ and I would thing other germans books are safe.

Schools have never been restricted to a choice of only three books in the past.

Almost exactly what I heard!

Not 3 sorry missed that bit. Most Teachers chose the publisher that gave the best discount as the profit went in the pockets.
If a teacher teaches 150 kids (I taught more in 14LO) books cost about 35 Zloty publishers give 15% as a norm, not a bad little income at least once a year.

The polish books are rubbish but it all boils down to the same Polish problem.

Cheat at school and university, uneducated people get MAs, then write books that are checked by a worker at MEN who is also not qualified to really do the job. The only people who suffer are the kids, but as they will also get a usless MA it doesn't matter anyway.
They will then move to the UK or Germany and wave papers saying they actually know something only to get sacked 1 month later when the manager finds out they are an idiot.
They then return to Poland and get a job in a school, uni or at the MEN. Teraz Polska

Yes Ania I know you are the 1 properly educated Pole and your school was perfect as was your University.
I was generalising. People that know the real system will understand.

Dajwid, if you are talking to this Ania, I've not experienced the Polish education system (unless you count saturday school), but I did have to wear a uniform to school in the UK. I posted the article because it looked interesting based on recent debates here.

It wasn't Another Ania who constantly said that everything was better in Poland. It was someone called Pani Ania. I haven't seen her post since the password system was brought in.

Another Ania is rather more sensible .

I'm waiting to hear from the school - and wondering how it will all be organised in time for next September.

c
thinking back to scarlet and bottle-green with some nostalgia ..

Sorry Ania I apologise.

The differences between rich and poor seem to be becoming more noticeable here - anything that makes that less visible among children can only be good.

I'm all in favor of uniforms .

Most of my colleagues, students, and friends here in Poland are surprised that this Yank is all for school uniforms. I've seen enough research that convinces me that behavior does improve when dressed smartly (especially for boys - a tie and a jumper can do wonders). Another thing to consider is what the word uniform entails - that all the students will be dressed in the same clothes (i.e. uniformly). This does not necessarily mean everyone needs to be in blazers and wool. Kids (especially the younger ones) might all wear the same school t-shirt or sweatshirt with matching pants.

I wonder what the high schools will decide. When I was in university, I spent a semester studying in Ecuador. One of the favorite ways to spend an afternoon for the guys was to sit in the town square and identify which school the girls were from by uniform. All those Latinas in short plaid skirts... Of course now I'm above all that now. Though with the nice weather we are having it is tempting to buy an ice cream sit in the center of town and enjoy all the lovely Polish ladies in their spring finery... a shedding of all the winter layers.

We used to wear school uniforms until about 4-th grade at primary school (so it stopped about 1987)then, gradually and unnoticably they just disappeared. I guess the whole system was at a collaps at that tome - noone cared.
I can also remember there was no problem with the style - you could simply by the same uniforms all over Poland, navy blue shirts with white collars for boys and navy shirt/dresses with a white collar for girls (or alternatively a sexy black Russian style aprons worn with giant white ribbons on the top or sides of head)+ a shield on a shoulder... Ican't see what was so wrong with them?

just please please (p...) let them be made of reasonable quality and machine-washable material. i was wondering aloud last night if all the body warmers had gone 'bitty' like Daughter's ... only to be told "Kinga washes hers by hand". Well done, Kinga - I have more interesting things to do with my life than wash bits of school uniform by hand ....

Sorry - this just couldn't go without some sort of comment ...

Claire, you had regulation knickers??

bottle green

That takes me back to prep school, where all the girls showed them off during PE.

Mine were Navy

Very demure, I'm sure.

Claire- Another Ania-

Stop teasing!

Tut tut... If you start asking about communal showers I will thwack you with my lacrosse stick lol!

All girls school