Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Eastenders.

Poles invade albert square!
I love the polish workers winding up Ian Beal but why did one of them say to Shirley ' you are the most beautiful woman I have seen in England'.

Oh my god

Re: Eastenders.

BBC Prime is a bit behind. I'll have to wait until the weekend to catch up .

Shirley!?! The blonde, slapper barmaid?

"why did one of them say to Shirley ' you are the most beautiful woman I have seen in England'."

Well have you seen the others in that show..I mean come on what choice is there? Dot? Pat? etc lol

A lot of Polish guys think english women aren't all that hot. They think some asian girls are beautiful though. They have a different concept of what is considered beautiful in Poland. For example it is considered attractive to be "zgrabna" which i don't think has a direct translation but means something like graceful, elegant, well proportioned and slim all in one. They also think delicate features are attractive and are likely to expect a nice personality not just a pretty face. There is far more pressure in Poland to have a nice personality if you are a woman and to be a homemaker. Ladettes are def not the fashion there that they are here. Might sound more sexist but I think there is more equality in Polish relationships than in english ones because the women rule the roost more and the man just shrugs and enjoys his lovely "zupa".

According to Gazeta Wyborcza's TV listings, Eastenders is a Comedy Series.

Wonder why?

zgrabna = shapely

according to my girlfriend.

and she told me to add that Polish men prefer their women to be brainless bimbos / barbies!

Britne Spears would be ideal.

"zgrabna = shapely"

Shapely yeah kind of but it has a ring to it that shapely doesn't. But wouldn't you agree that for UK males it doesn't seem so important for a woman to be shapely and well proportioned? It's not an adjective they would use. "Fit" maybe? In any case Polish men appreciate different aspects of a woman and Polish women evolve to fit these requirements (particularly the personality requirements and homemaking). Polish women are also very good at getting their man.

As far as bimbos go well it depends on the man....but most Polish women are not bimbos.

zgrabna = nice piece of ass. More fitting translation

As with so many words the context of the sentence will be your best indicator.

The broad meaning can best be comprehended from the negative form “niezgrabny”: uncoordinated, clumsy.

Zgrabnosc in general conversation will most often parallel “stylish/smart” or “poise”. The meaning of “coordinated” can also infer “proportioned”, and that when combined with “sylwetka” connotes sexy.

Yes to me there is an element of the meaning which describes the way a woman holds herself or moves as well as how she is shaped and how well clothes fit and lie on her so maybe stylish too (zgrabny is rarely used for a man - but niezgrabny may be!). Graceful, poised and shapely? I guess this is why the Polish language has fewer words than English! Can you also use niezgrabnie to describe a botch job? Never used it in that context but I'm sure I've heard it. Maybe to describe bad football playing...

"A lot of Polish guys think english women aren't all that hot."

Stereotypically - yes, that's true. But we all know how much the stereotypes are worth.

However, I may have a single proof that not only Polish guys find English women not particularly attractive. Years ago I met a guy from Manchester - he was teaching English here, in Poland - who ran for us, students, a quick comparison between Polish and English women. While Polish he considered "smart, classy and sexy", English were in his opinion (please, don't shoot the messenger, I'm only quoting here) "like pigs" and "you only need to buy them a beer and they're all yours".

Not very patriotic of him, right?

Chelsea, Dawn,Honey,Carly,Preeti.
All(boski laski)

But Shirley

Any opinions on the violent, no-good, scruffy, alcoholic Polish character in Eastenders?

I was amazed by Mo's comment on Poles .

Not exactly a good advert for Poles.

I'm not sure I saw those. Last time, I watched the Polish character was drunk and mouthing off about how "in Poland we take a strap to such children" and "how children need to show respect to their parents". In the next episode he was attacking the barmaid's son in the street. Later Kevin the car salesman was taking the mickey out of the way he spoke!!!

As you say: certainly not a good ad for Poles in the UK.

I don't bother watching Eastenders. Perhaps they should screen it in Poland to put people off coming to the UK.

It is in Poland, on BBC Prime. very badly dubbed and listed as a comedy in Cyfra+

There was another Polish character in Eastenders, years back. A barber called Felix as far as I remember.

You can see a picture of the Polish character from Eastenders here:

Shirley and Erek

Or in action here:

He's the drunk character with long hair .