This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cell Phone Use By Employees

Hey Guys, I'm a back office supervisor and I would like to write a policy for cell phone use by employees in the office. If you would be so kind would you please share your office's policy on this. Thanks !!!!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA, DT, CNA

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? yes

Re: Cell Phone Use By Employees

what about all cell phones must be turned off except during lunch and breaks?

Making and receiving personal calls during work hours can interfere with employee productivity and be distracting to others. Employees are expected to refrain from using their phone while at work.

Danni

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Forum Admin

This is a little bit different situation, but it still burns me up. In one of my classes I had this one girl who was constantly receiving calls during class. Everyday when class started the instructor would remind everyone to make sure their phones were off. Well, while everyone else was reaching in purses or bookbags to make sure, this person would be looking around the classroom while humming do, do, do........the whole time. So low and behold, right in the middle of class just about everyday her phone would ring. She would get up to take the call and start talking before she even got to the door. Everyone was so mad, but the teacher never said a word (which is something I don't understand sense she was interrupting class). By the end of the semester everyone was ready to strangle her. Whew, I just had to get that off my chest. Thanks for listening.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CNA I & CNA II

Are You Working? no

Actually, the situation is not that different, only the location. It is quite unprofessional, and inconsiderate, if not borderline defiant. Although the teacher should have, and could have said more than just grin and bear it, let me assure you...

Professionalism STARTS in the CLASSROOM, not on the job, as so many falsely believe. Her behavior very likely will carry over into her work, and where ever she goes, and chances are, the next person, namely the office manager, or doctor, will not only not like it, but also not tolerate it.

I am sure your teacher knew that, and figured "let her be", she will have to learn the hard way. Some people just do! I know you knew that and realized it what a predicament this student is putting herself into in the long run.

Part of being a medical assistant is to be tolerant. Not this one was a test of your patience above and beyond, but you've made it through. Consider it part of the lesson.

Good luck to you.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Admin

Am I in your class, or is there one in every class?

Your Professional Title/Credentials: workin on it

Are You Working? no

I think that most classes have at least one inconsiderate person in them. This girl's parent's were footing the bill for her to be there, unlike the rest of us that had to struggle to pay for school. You could tell who was there to learn and who was there to take up space.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CNA I & II

Are You Working? no

A teacher advised my class to keep all cell phones IN YOUR CAR for the externships. He said nothing was so important that it couldn't wait,and any emergency could go through the front desk phone system,like back in the old days. Several students in my class had their phones right on their desks,to grab whenever it vibrated. Nothing was ever said to them,even when the phones rang. And you know what? Every student who did that kind of thing were the type who found jobs. It's like it takes gall to be taking calls in the middle of the class and that kind of attitude is the type that can not only bs their way into a job,but keep that job.

I say all cell phones should be kept in a car during work hours. Too many HAVE to have them turned on if the phone is nearby.

DEPENDS...IF THEY PAY U LESS THAT 7 BUCKS AN HR DO WHAT U WANT THERE ARE NO RULES THAN

Just because you are paid less than $7/hr does not mean you do not have rules or do not have to follow them. With an additude like that you are going to have NO job