This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What do I need?

I am taking my placement test on June 20th. On that day I am also enrolling with the school and meeting with the financial person. I am hoping to start my MA classes at the end of August. My question is, what should I have to start school? I've been thinking about taking my laptop to write notes (I type faster than I write and I'm already a medical transcriptionist so I can type really fast when I'm typing something someone is saying). Is this a good idea or not? Do people still do this?
I guess on June 20th I will hopefully find out what books I will need, but what else should I get? What is the best way to have my bag organized? Anyone have any tips on this sort of stuff? I know it seems like a simple thing I should be able to figure out on my own, but I have been in school for over 10 years.

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes

Re: What do I need?

Typing your notes into a laptop might be a good idea, however, this may be something you'd first check with with your instructors. The clicking of keys might be deedmed disrespectful and disrupting during a lecture.

Also, it may be great to have your notes right on your laptop, but trust me, nothing beats hand-written notes with images and lines, ect. that you copy from the teacher's notes. Well orgainized in separate binders beats digital format on a screen any time when it comes to studying for exams.

However, running a mini-tape recorder during class worked PERFECTLY to record and review lessons, if you want to (insist on) going high-tech.

Separate office binders, or one large ring-book binder with dividers for different modules served me well. Also, pencils, pencil sharpener, markers, highlighters, a ruler, a stethoscope, bandage scissors, a lab coat, and some scrub tops for the clinical lab got me through all classes.

Oh... besides the laptop being to noisy, remember: these things can also get dropped, or worse... stolen!

Danni

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Forum Admin